slc 505 message writing to plc5

jude

I have a slc5/05 writing to a plc5/40 processor ( using message), everythings works ok for hours sometimes days then it gives error 37 and stops sending information, the error bit sets I have cleared the error bit in the set up screen but it does not fix problem so far the only way I have been able to clear fault is to reload a program with no faults in it , I am assuming there is an easier way I just have not found it, any suggestions would be appreciated

Error code 37 is an ordinary timeout. You usually see it when the target device is physically disconnected.

The first thing I would do is make sure there is a Diagnostic data file defined for Channel 1 of the SLC-5/05 so that you can determine if there are physical problems with your local Ethernet media or port.

Next post the MSG control logic you are using in the SLC-5/05 so that Forum members can suggest reset logic. ZIP and post the *.RSS file or a screenshot. Are you sending messages to any other devices from this SLC ?

Hi Ken
we use data highway+ to communicate and it is a 5/04.Anyway I have 3 5/04 plcs writting messages to the one plc5 processor and ours is a 7 day 24 hour operation , the other 2 are configured the same way with no problem, At this point I have added and removed rungs o and 1 in ladder 4 added and removed the N7:60 and N7:30 bits 15 in rungs 19 and 20 and also added and or removed rungs 21 and 22 and any combination of the above and like I said earlier it can run for days or hours but when I get error 37 I cannot reset it.

First thing to do is check the network, wiring, termination resistors and everything is tight.

I would consider sequencing your message instructions only have one enabled at a time.
A counter works well for this.

Better yet put all message instruction in your PLC5 and sequence thru them there.
Again a counter works well for this. Only one message instruction enabled at a time will keep traffic down to a minimum .

For the one word instruction ( if this is the same in all your SLCs) I would consider
using Global Status Flags/Words. See Pdf's below for how to set this up. There is a small difference between the SLC and PLC. This is a very efficient way to pass one word between processors.

I’d use the error bit on each MSG to unlatch the enable bit and let it run. If you’re only getting an occasional error then let it error and move on.

I did try the error bit to reset and it made no differance, although strangely enough after I loaded it back in to the processor almost 4 weeks ago I have not seen the error again,I hate when something appears to fix it self and I have no idea why because following MURPHYS LAW (I am Irish) I expect it to return with a vengence