SLC505 1747-L551B Ethernet Message Path

Jim3846

I am looking at an old program and doing a retrofit on a sorter. Looking at the ethernet interface, see attached pic, I see a path that is = "CLIENT".

Typically its an IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I thought maybe it was some symbol table reference but not that I could find anywhere.

Is this a dummy place holder so the old code could be using a host if customer wanted that option?

My real question is CLIENT is just a dummy tag.

Jim

EthernetMSGSLC505.PNG

Try changing MiltiHop to yes then you should get a new tab, this is where the IP address is set, its been awhile since I have used the MSG

Thanks

I look at other SLC programs in past I hacked on and its show a physical address where multihop = no . example 192.168.3.15

Must be multiple ways to skin the cat.

I think all other past projects have push out this nugget of info.

Jim

The "CLIENT" entry in the MSG control block comes from a legacy method for communicating between PLC-5E or SLC-5/05 controllers and PCs running Interchange, WinLinx, or RSLinx.

When you used "CLIENT" instead of a target IP address, the controller would look up a list of "unsolicited message clients" that had registered with the controller and send the message to them.

This only worked with the old CSP protocol, before ControlLogix, CIP, and EtherNet/IP.