BootP for SLC505

DairyBoy

Hello.

I'm using bootp to set an ip address for a 1747L551 processor.
The bootp program immediately sees the mac id and I am able to enter an ip address, which is immediately sent to the processor (as displayed in the information window).
At this point the processor can be pinged with its new address.

When I click "Disable bootp" (by button, right click options, or via Tools pull-down) I get the error "Received error message from -mac- [Get_Attribute_Single] [5]"

(The mac is displayed, but I didn't know if it should be put out there).

The processor loses the new ip address when its power is cycled.

Rockwell tech have returned a couple of unrelated tech note links so not much hope there.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

its an unfortunate consistent bug.

right click the device in the bottom window and choose disable bootp from that dropdown instead.

ID: BF4486 | Access Levels: Everyone

hopefully that's the issue you're having with it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ian. I was aware of that bug which is why I've been using all available ways to initiate the disable. Just plugged it in again and bootp can't see it at all this time o_O

Thanks, Ian. I was aware of that bug which is why I've been using all available ways to initiate the disable. Just plugged it in again and bootp can't see it at all this time o_O

power down the device and power it up while its plugged in. some devices don't broadcast continually unless in a window on powerup.

When I use the Rockwell BootP tool to set a static IP address, I don't bother with the disable button, I just get the IP set and then use programming software to perform a download with BootP disabled in the downloaded file. You need to do that before cycling power.

In your case, it could be that you successfully disabled BootP but the tool couldn't confirm that.

It's sorted :)
It took a while but I thought well, if it holds its new ip address until power cycled, then let's see if i can go online in RSlogix. Yes. Into channel config and unchecked that pesky bootp enable :p

OkiePC: You beat me to it!