slick 500 training

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone recommend where a novice in PLC training can get specific info programming an AB SLK500? My background is relay logic / motor controls(20 years+) using ladder diagrams. Right now I work alot with Moeller smart relays. They are programmed in a ladder logic format via PC that is very easy for me to understand. Is there a way to program SLK 500 in a ladder format? Can I download a simulator to train on that would match actual SLK 500 program screen / software?

You can download the software for free from the Micrologix Page of Rockwell's site. Between using the real software, and the instruction help in the Help file, you can learn lots for free.

Thanks. I went to rockwells sight but I'm not sure I got to where I needed to be. I did download some self executing demos on rslogics. Could you give me the link that would take me directly to the download I need?

g.robert said:
Thanks. I went to rockwells sight but I'm not sure I got to where I needed to be. I did download some self executing demos on rslogics. Could you give me the link that would take me directly to the download I need?

Click Here

I can't link you directly because you have to join up and sign in to download it, but click on the right hand side of the screen where it says RSLogix 500 Starter Software for Micrologix 10 Point Controllers, and go from there.

Thanks for the help guys. The software from logix pro is great! Is this exactly what the actual rslogix 500 software looks like? I assume it is as it is used for training. I am having no problems generating functional programs with my existing ladder logic knowledge. Do you have the ability to simulate inputs and view output results in the software of the rslogix 500 to test functionality stand alone? Some of the info I am getting is that you cannot. If this is correct the prologix simulator software seems like it would be of great value even if you had rslogix 500. What do you think?

I agree, it is a great learning resource and yes it is as close to the "real" RSlogix500 as you can get.
Even if you have RSLogix500 you have to use an actual SLC/Micrlogix to verify how your program will actually work. Rockwell Automation does has software packages called RSEmulate 5 and 500 which let you simulate processor scanning, but it is much more expensive.

So it sounds like you must have PLC and wired I/O to test rslogix 500 programs. Could you open / test out a program written in rslogix with the prologix software? I realize you have limited I/O in the software's simulator but most of the stuff I work with is limited to 40-I and 20-O. (I've yet to see the prologix's analog abilities)Could you download a program written in the prologix software to a AB SLC 500?

You can test logic written in RSLogix500 with an additional software package by Rockwell Automation called RSEmulate500. It works with RSlogix to simulate a SLC, but the software is very expensive.

The LogixPro programs are in no way interchangeable with RSLogix programs (to the best of my knowledge).