Slick 500 connecting

chop347

Hey all in the middle of no where. I have an old computer running win98 with a seriel port. Use this with my pic with no problems at all on my slick 500,s. Now they have decieded to buy me a new computer. Gave them the spec,s but of course didnt get what I wanted. Recived a very nice new lap top with no floppy drive or seriel port. Only 2 usb ports and one ether net plug. No fire wire connection. Have tried to use a seriel to usb adapter with no luck. Same as ethernet thru a hub with no luck. Any way to make this work with out a pick. Have a RS-232 cable but been so long cannot remember the wiring sequence. Always just use to using the pic and happy with it. Never had any problems. But seems I might be out dated a bit.
Thanks for all the help.

Be sure to post your questions in the normal Q&A section, not in the "Test Posting" section.

The RJ-45 connector on an SLC-5/01, /02, or /03 controller is a Data Highway 485 connection. Never connect it to an Ethernet port or an RS-232 port; the voltages present to power peripherals may damage your other port.

What you need is a 1747-UIC.

This is a USB to DH485 interface module. It works perfectly with Windows 2000/XP and USB 1.1 or 2.0 interfaces.

There is no other inexpensive way to connect from a modern computer without a built-in serial port to a DH485 network. The 1747-UIC is exactly the same price as a 1747-PIC.

Are you sure that he is talking about SLC5/01, /02 or /03 and the DH485 port ?

Maybe he has a SLC5/03, /04 or /05 and a serial port.

If the latter is the case, then a USB-to-serial converter will work. The serial cable is just a normal null-modem cable (2-3, 3-2, 5-5).

He doesn't have a serial port .

So I suppose it is either 1747 UIC or a PCMK card and adapter cable .
First option is much cheaper .

"with no floppy drive or seriel port"

Unless I am completely missing what he is saying , I thought he mentioned that the new PC that he had trouble with didn't have a serial port , hence his problem .

A "real" serial port that is .

10BaseT. said:
Either a USB PIC or via a PCMK card - though he will probabley not want the expense of a PCMK.

I just saw one on e-bay for $350.00 USD, "B" series, thats not bad

jstolaruk said:
That's an excellent price. Cheap enough to get a backup; I already got backup cables because of the vulnerable connector into the card.

Yeah, it took a while to get though, didnt want to pay out too much!

I use some nice auction bidding software which really helped!

It's very cheap - I paid about a million quid for mine , but there we go ! The one thing that doesn't turn up too ofter though is the Siemens 5512 card , they are still expensive .