SMC EX260-SEN1 from MicroLogix 1400

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone successfully set up communications to a SMC EX260-SEN1 from a MicroLogix 1400 using MSG instructions?

They are Ethernet/IP and from what I have heard other people says Ethernet/IP Remote IO can be tricky on a MicroLogix.

P.S. Yes I hate MicroLogix, I am kind of stuck with them in this situation.

Unless the SMC EX260 supports a Class 3 connection i think you'll be out of luck.
The Micrologix has ethernet/ip but not for Class 1 connections.

Unless the SMC EX260 supports a Class 3 connection i think you'll be out of luck.
The Micrologix has ethernet/ip but not for Class 1 connections.
Any EtherNet/IP device must support the assembly object. If you know the assembly object instances into which the device maps the process data, then sending generic CIP request GetAttrSingle (service code 0x0e) or SetAttributeSingle (service code 0x10) to attribute ID 0x03 (data) of the correct assembly instance should allow communication with the adapter.

#crocodile #fly #low #slow

MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers are not designed, intended, advertised, promoted, documented, or supported to control I/O devices on an EtherNet/IP network.

If an adapter device emulates the cyclic I/O connection (Class 1, in EtherNet/IP) timeout feature when non-cyclic messages (Class 3) are used to read and write the Assembly objects that would otherwise be used by an I/O connection, control functionality can be accomplished. A-B variable frequency drives, for example, perform that function by emulating SLC-500 data tables, with a specific register to which you send a Timeout value.

It is only as fast and stable as the programmer's ability to write MSG instruction code and manage the load on the controller's communications subsystem. I do not recommend it as an intentional design.

That's a big "IF". While SMC Pneumatics was an early member of the ODVA and has solidly built, reliable, well-tested network adapters, I don't see anything in the EX260-SEN1 documentation that suggests it will accept unscheduled messages to Assembly 100 and 150 and act as though there is a cyclic I/O connection created.

The fact that the RPI value for the I/O connection is part of the EDS file suggests you might be able to write to it and the module might treat it like a timeout even when there's no Class 1 connection established. But there's nothing in the documentation to support that optimistic thinking.

Last edited: