Wonderware Historian SMC keeps freezing

sjatx72

Hello there,

Our plant is running Wonderware Historian on a Virtual Server and every few days I'm losing comms to my PLCs. Usually I can simply deactivate, then reactivate the DASABCIP server, however the last several times either it would not deactivate or SMC was frozen altogether where I couldn't even select the DASCIP tree to drop down and had to close SMC via task manager. Of course this lead to the only temp solution of rebooting the server. I'm pretty sure the Historian is not getting hammered with data.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Scott

Wonder if the virtual machine is being rebooted? But the startup for the virtual machine does not restart these processes? Can you go into processes and start the process automatically or give it a restart at a certain time of day?

Sometimes processes will run up to a certain point without being restarted but past a certain run time they just fall on their face.

Have you taken a look at the event and error log in SMC? I'd look back to a point prior to you having to close and reboot then see if any errors show up prior.

If nothing there then check the event logs in Windows.

If SMC itself is freezing it sounds like it's more likely to be some kind of operating system component as the issue, SMC is a very light weight wrapper that just gives you an interface to various other Wonderware components

Also, what version of OS & historian?
There maybe something in that, that is not right.

We have a similar issue also, but a reboot solves it.
Am in the process of trying to get to the bottom of it.