Sorry for noob question: hmi / terminal settings

jhnblckwood

I work in a field where our plc and hmi are constantly being powered fully off and on daily before being sent out. I am new to the world of plc and hmi’s. Only a few months. Long story short the hmi runs a .mer file upon boot up but when I exit to terminal configuration (wanted to change screen saver to advertise our company instead of AB) then load and run .mer it asks if I want to over write the terminal communication settings with application communication settings. I was confused on what to pick since I would think the terminal would already be setup with the application settings. So I just flipped the breaker to restart and get back to normal operations. I know a noob question but didn’t want to mess anything up. Thank you.

The communications settings only need to be downloaded once. So if you are editing an existing (working) PanelView Plus, you do not need to over write the terminal communications settings.

The communications settings only need to be downloaded once. So if you are editing an existing (working) PanelView Plus, you do not need to over write the terminal communications settings.

Thank you. So theoretically since I’m running the same application that’s been running and I did over write it would have no effect correct? I guess I was just thrown off that it asked since the setting should already match. But I appreciate the input.

Theoretically, yes. If I'm making edits to an existing screen, I never over write the communications. I do that just to play it safe and prevent any confusion. If you're on a plant network with many PLCs, it may get confusing.

When you load a new application it doesn't do a compare so it'll ask you every time.

Everyone's situation is different, I'm the opposite, I ALWAYS overwrite communications and I instruct our service guys to do the same. Reason being, if someone downloads a new application with a flawed communication path and doesn't replace the communication path, the next person that does is in for a rude awakening. Best to be sure at the moment you are working with the application, then it can be fixed. Otherwise, someone will find out the hard way at 2AM.

Everyone's situation is different, I'm the opposite, I ALWAYS overwrite communications and I instruct our service guys to do the same. Reason being, if someone downloads a new application with a flawed communication path and doesn't replace the communication path, the next person that does is in for a rude awakening. Best to be sure at the moment you are working with the application, then it can be fixed. Otherwise, someone will find out the hard way at 2AM.

Your point is valid, and important.

I used to travel to new customers a lot. Mostly systems we didn't implement but were hired to make modifications or repairs. I would take the least invasive path to make these modifications, especially with older equipment.

I am in a much different situation now where we maintain all the equipment and backups. I believe I'll change my method and heed your advice.