Speed control for PowerFlex 4M using analog Outputs Card

Michael83

Hi All!!!

It's my first post on this forum so be a patient,please.
I'm writing program using RS Logic 5000 and I need have a variable speed control for 3 inverters(one switch on HMI to set up the frequency).
Because I'm using PowerFlex 4M inverters they are without Ethernet,so to control the speed from the PLC(hmi) I need analog card add to the PLC
but I have never used before analog card so I don't know how do I have to start the calculations(0-10V).

If anyone have idea how do I have to start?
Many thanks
Michael

This video is educational for scaling analog numbers in a CLX PLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWe244o4uwk

I am new to "RsLogix 5000" analog and have designed a few practice programs with Alma's, compare and other statements feeding 4-20 in with my Fluke to practice programs controlling outputs, but not yet in position to advise.

Good Luck

Last edited:
You might want to double check the drive. The PowerFlex 4's that we use all come with ethernet. You would have to configure the IP address, and I would strongly suggest you limit the amount of data you send from the drive. We have crashed networks due to too much info flowing from drives. If you do in fact have to use an analog card, it is pretty easy in Logix5000. Just holler if you need more help.

Will.

First and foremost, you need to be aware of how your circuits are going to behave. You can't mix dc sources. This is incredibly important to avoid damaging components, if you are unsure ask for clarification.

Next, you need to look up tutorials on the scp instruction in rs logix. Sorry I'm on my phone now, but YouTube scp and I'll check back later to see if you need more help.

If you add the Ethernet couldn't you just add the drive to your RSL5K project and control it via Ethernet/IP and forget about the Modbus stuff?

Thanks you all,for your reply.!

After reading all your useful advices I get embarrassed.
So now I have to verify what will be cheapest get 3 analog card or get Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+) one is enough for 3 inverter or needs to be one Interface Converter for each inverter??If project manager agree I will go to Modbus.

1.so the best way of using (PLC to control 3 inverters) by Modbus network is using PLC as a Master,,CORRECT?
2.Controller mode must be in user
3.To make the connection between PLC and Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+)I have to use the serial port from PLC,CORRECT?
4.What kind of cables I need to make this kind of network(My understanding)is
serial from PLC to Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+),then from Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+)to the inverter 1st,and 1st to 2nd,,and 2nd to 3rd????
5.Then I need to download the Modbus Master ACD.file
6.Then set up this Modbus Interface,Right?
7.I couldn't find where can I set up the IP address in Powerflex 4M

For the first time using Modbus Network it's very confusing!
Please give me some advice is my way of thinking is right.

If you add the Ethernet couldn't you just add the drive to your RSL5K project and control it via Ethernet/IP and forget about the Modbus stuff?

Bullzi
I'm using the PowerFlex 4M and they dont have the Ethernet,,,
only port 485,which I can use with Modbus as a part of Ethernet.

If there is an option to add the Ethernet to the inverters,, so what kind of module I should be looking for or how can add the Ethernet to the inverters?

Many thanks
Michael

According to the PowerFlex 4M flyer it shows: "Optional: DeviceNet, LonWorks, Bluetooth, EtherNet/I, PROFIBUS DP, ControlNet, BACnet
(Optional networks for use only with external DSI communications kit)"

I don't know what is involved with making your 4M drives into a 4ME drive. I looked at RSL5K and you can add a Powerflex 4ME to the project. The only issue is I only see 2 tags created for the drive. One for a faulted and one for connection. No tags for start, stop or anything like that. So maybe the 4M are not able to be controlled by Ethernet/IP like the other PF drives are.

Maybe someone with more experience with the 4M can chime in and let us know if it can be controlled via Enet/IP.

Good Evening,

I have some experience with Controllogix but not with Modbus rtu. I have used Modbus rtu with several other manufactures, I will be of some assistance but will rely on the knowledge of others. In post #11 seems your way of thinking is correct. Below is the deive paeameters to setup serial communication and a link to Key drive addresses.

Hope This Helps
Tom

Drive Parameter Setup

P036 [Start Source] Set to 5 “RS485
Page 3-9

P038 [Speed Reference] Set to 5 “RS485
Page 3-11

A103 [Comm Data Rate] Sets the data rate for the RS485
Page 3-23

A104 [Comm Node Addr] Sets the node address for the drive on the network.
Each device on the network requires a unique node address.
Page 3-23

A105 [Comm Loss Action] Selects the drive’s response to communication
problems.
Page 3-24

A106 [Comm Loss Time] Sets the time that the drive will remain in
communication loss before the drive implements A105
[Comm Loss Action].
Page 3-24

http://plc-hmi-scadas.com/gallery/PowerFlex4ModBusAddressing.pdf

Good Morning michael83,

The options board to add Ethernet to your Powerflex 4M is the 22-COMM-E you will need (1) for each drive. The following link is a Quick Start Guide on setting up communication from Logix 5000 to Powerflex 40 drives. For Ethernet communication to a Powerflex 4 I have done and can be of more help.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs029_-en-p.pdf

And

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/iasimp-qr024_-en-p.pdf

Here is a video I found may be of some help to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t55UbbzwL9U

Hope This Helps
Tom

Last edited: