SST_PFB_SLC card on a slow Profibusnet

Here is a link to an application description from satel:
http://www.satel.fi/downloads/application-notes/2006/WIRELESS-PROFIBUS-DP-TOGETHER-WITH-SATEL-RADIO-MODEMS

Notice that only 9600 and 19200 baud are possible. So you must adapt your HMI accordingly.
That means, reduce the number of active tags (typically objects on a screen) and maybe the update rate has to be turned down too.

The satel devices are actually not made specifically for Profibus, but are "transparant" RS485 devices.

In the note is mentioned that the Profibus master has to be modified somewhat. This sounds like is is the same issue as with the Phoenix Contact Bluetooth devices.

If you need much faster update rates than is possible with 19200 baud, then you should look at wireless ProfiNet.

Hello;
Prosoft offers a Wireless Profibus gaetway that supports up to 12 MB:

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/8664

This is what their setup looks like:

Wireless_Profibus.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

That Prosoft device looks interesting.

However, skimming the specs, it looks like it works as a Profibus Master to Profibus slave only, not Master-to-master. If that is the case, it cannot be used between a HMI and the PLC.

It is a bit confusing. In the beginning of the spec it says:
"creates a powerful wireless connection between Master and/or Slave devices on a PROFIBUS DP network".
And also "The PROFIBUS DP Master (PDPM) protocol driver supports Master implementations of the protocol on either a Mono-Master or Multi-Master network."
This indirectly says that master-to-master is possible.

But if I interpret the rest of the specs correctly, then it works more or less like a Profibus master-to-slave interface only.

If you want to consider this device, you should have it confirmed by their support that is works with PLC to HMI (master-to-master).

These devices do indeed look interesting (as well as ugly!!).

The data sheet says they're only implementing DP V0 in the slave, so like Jesper I'd recommend checking exactly what their master can achieve.

When they say '12Mbits/s' that's on the DP electrical side. The radio link seems to be 11, 5.5, 2 or 1Mbps. (Hmmm .... now where do all those extra bits arriving via the cable go if they can't get out the antenna? Does it just swell up with data until it bursts and scatters bits and bytes all over the factory?:) )

Regards

Ken