Stamping application

Thanks for all the great advice!

Buletjie - I'm not familiar with iradiation/absorbtion testing but it doesn't sound like something that would fit in a stamping die.
CharlesM - Carbide Probes Inc. sells a variety of probes for this purpose.
LadderLogic - If I was allowed to measure this outside the die, I would definitly go to Keyence - They make some cool stuff...
JeffKiper - I spelled it wrong the last time - it's "Inconel", wikipedia has a decent write-up on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel. Please let me know what you think...
Peter N. - I did a little more research on this today and yes, I'm aware of the expansion issues. I was actually leaning towards using some of the newer signal analysis hardware thats become available in the last five years or so. Check this out http://www.sciemetric.com/. Helm has a version of this also.
Interestingly enough, my company had a hand in developing the tooling for those retentive pull tabs in the late 70s (small world).

It would be nice if I could also measure variations in material hardness on the fly. Does anybody know anything about this?

mcafone said:
Thanks for all the great advice!

Buletjie - I'm not familiar with iradiation/absorbtion testing but it doesn't sound like something that would fit in a stamping die.
those retentive pull tabs in the late 70s (small world).

It would be nice if I could also measure variations in material hardness on the fly. Does anybody know anything about this?

MCAFONE

I worked in the defence industry and safety critical components were X-RAY'ed. I'm not familiar with a system which would do the production rates you require though. But my dentist has a nifty instrument which he used to check for tooth decay (real time) (I don't know if it works as he never could find any holes:ROFLMAO: )

There should be such systems - as noninvasive 'see-through' technology is booming in the states. (ask any airport access point)

Regards,

Last edited: