Step 7 Monitor

I've certainly monitored a Step 7 PLC at the same time as at least one other, there is a limitation in the PLC for the amount of blocks to be openned.

I'm unsure of any limitation of users on the same block though, as when I did it we were looking at different parts of the program.

This was done as normal, via ethernet.

Yes we connect to the same PLC Via Step 7 and Ethernet.

It would be real nice if we could monitor the same function block. This would help troubleshooting a lot.

A quick check produced following error:

(D063) Resource error: Trigger event occupied

This was tested on S7-412 2DP. Both PC's using ethernet.

I don't think you can.

It makes sense that only one person works in a block at any one time.

What happens if two people are in a block and one person makes a change, suddenly one of the blocks will not be the same.

I know you can have more than one person in the PLC, you do get a resource error once a certain number of blocks have been opened.

I don't think its possible for multi-access to the same block.

EDIT:

The only get around you have is to create VAT tables to see what is happening, then both will have the same information.

I know you can have more than one person in the PLC, you do get a resource error once a certain number of blocks have been opened.
I do this a lot. The number of blocks opened doesn't seem to give the error so much as the number of blocks that are being monitored.

I don't think its possible for multi-access to the same block.
Normally if one user opens the block, when the second user opens it, it shows as read-only and advises second user that it is opened.

Read Only

daveswerld said:
Normally if one user opens the block, when the second user opens it, it shows as read-only and advises second user that it is opened.

We don't get the option for read only. If we did that would work fine. Is that a setting somewhere?

Not that I know of. We are using 5.3 SP1 and a terminal services machine. I dont know if it is because the block is opened by the same PC that allows that. I do know we use the offline block vice the online, so that might make a difference.