Step 7 Trial License

The S7-313 CPU connection is MPI or Profibus - do you have h/w for connecting to it?

One uses Profibus and the other is MPI. I see now that a standard serial cable is insufficient. I like Ethernet based protocols :cry:. Most of our equipment is new, the only programming I've done that required a serial cable was for the micrologix line.

Is something like this appropriate?

https://www.plccable.com/siemens-6gk1571-0ba00-0aa0-plc-s7-usb-to-mpi-profibus-dp-ppi-32-64-bit/

As an aside, the S7-300 memory cards can be inspected/modified using a binary editor (e.g. HxD) - I've successfully modified the data on the memory card to change the program operation (this was purely an academic "can I do this exercise" I might add)

One uses Profibus and the other is MPI. I see now that a standard serial cable is insufficient. I like Ethernet based protocols :cry:. Most of our equipment is new, the only programming I've done that required a serial cable was for the micrologix line.

Is something like this appropriate?

https://www.plccable.com/siemens-6gk1571-0ba00-0aa0-plc-s7-usb-to-mpi-profibus-dp-ppi-32-64-bit/

Yes that cable will work perfect... and its a great company ;)

Too late to ship today but it can ship tomorrow

Profibus can be set to 12MB/s and the interface you have shown will only go to 1.5MB/s

What is plugged into the ports on your CPU? if the MPI port is empty you could use that connection and the interface you have shown will be suitable.

Perhaps I'm crazy? I spent a hot Arizona summer working on a handful of S7-300's with a print out in FB, but only STL for editing due to the offline programs being lost and relying on uploads. I got through it, but it was a hellish experience.

Do you try changing the view after the upload?

So why reply or comment on something your know nothing about?

Yes that cable will work perfect... and its a great company ;)

Too late to ship today but it can ship tomorrow

Good stuff. I'll get that ordered, thanks.

Profibus can be set to 12MB/s and the interface you have shown will only go to 1.5MB/s

What is plugged into the ports on your CPU? if the MPI port is empty you could use that connection and the interface you have shown will be suitable.

On the s7-300 the MPI port is connected to the HMI while the DP (PROFIBUS) port is free. The MPI cable is of the 'pass through' variety (don't know the correct term), where there is a port on the back of the connector. This CPU I can take offline at will since we are still re-commissioning this older system.

For the other CPU, it looks like it uses Profinet actually and ultimately connects to our ethernet/ip network via an Anybus-X gateway. I can simply build a profinet cable with a standard rj45 and a 4 pair wire, correct?

Yes, standard Ethernet cable will do the job.

Plug into the MPI pass-through for the 313

Late here in UK but I'm sure you will get further assistance from our US members.

Last edited: