Step7 - ProTool, how to compare Runtime and Offline programs

RMA

I'm probably going to need to modify the ProTool program for a TP170B in the near future. Looking at the program as stored in the copy of the project I've been given to work with, I don't believe that the offline version of the ProTool program can possibly work. Before I screw up a working Runtime program, is there any way I can compare the Online and Offline versions of the program (similar to the Online-Offline compare facility in Step7)? Alternatively, is there any way I can upload the current Runtime program from the panel, so as to at least compare it manually?

Cheers

Roy

You can allways take an image of the panel. Either via Prosave or with a flashcard. Then you have a backup that you can restore if need be.
You can also repeat it with the current project that you have. Download it and then take an image. Then compare the images.

Somewhere on the panel, there is an .fwd (Protool) or .fwx (Flexible) file. If you can locate it, then that is what you shall compare.

Activate the Taskbar and then Windows Explorer.
Under My Computer \ Flash \ Simatic \ .. you will find the PDATA.FWX file. This is the one to compare.

edit: I just notice now that you specified Protool in the thread header. Not sure what the filename is, but the extension is .FWD.
You can see the extensions with View .. Options .. then deselect "Hide file extensions".

Last edited:
Thanks Jesper, I remember the .fwd file from the Rossendorf project.

Is there any way to get to the Windows level other than switching power to the panel off and back on to catch it during reboot (always assuming there isn't a button for this - I haven't checked yet)?

If the original programmer was a nice guy, then he has put than function on a special maintenance screen somewhere.

In the meantime I have had the pleasure of programming an OP170B (same generation as your TP170B). And the possibility to get to the taskbar is not there as it is on an OP177B. At least I could not find it.

So I suggest that you make a complete image. You can at least get back to where you were before.

When taking an upload of the panel, u get a compiled version of your program, u can't make any changes ...

Is there a way to decompile or something ?