Stepper or servo motor

abangmamat

I am thinking of changing pneumatic cylinder to electric motor type. which motor would be ideal force for equivalent to 5.5bar cylinder pressure. The cylinder works in Vertical motion as a heater press for sealing. Any recommendations?

Some things you need to consider:
1. What is your force requirement? Along with the pressure, you also need to know the bore size of the air cylinder in order to estimate this value (F=PA).
2. Do you want to purchase a pre-assembled servo/stepper linear actuator, or assemble various brands of components yourself? The first option is easier but consists mainly of low-force actuators. Check out Intelligent Actuator (IAI), Oriental Motor, and Tolomatic, just to name a few.
3. Servo or stepper? Stepper systems are best for high torque, low speed motion, and are usually cheaper than servo solutions. In my experience, servos are usually needed for screw-driven actuators as you often need speeds in the thousands of RPMs.
4. What kind of position feedback do you need? If you simply need extend and retract capability, a [cheap] DC motor driving an actuator with end-of-stroke sensors may be sufficient. Servos, and even some steppers nowadays, can provide position feedback for more complicated motions.