Suggestion for a stepper/servo system for project

The 1100 has two high-speed outputs (40kHz on newer models) for stepper/servo control. I've used it for exactly this purpose and can vouch for the functionality.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1763-pp001_-en-p.pdf

I would highly recommend that you download the user manual for the 1100 and read all about the PTO/PWM instructions; these are the ones you'll need to utilize the high-speed outputs.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1763-rm001_-en-p.pdf

And yes, the free version of RSLogix does work with the 1100.

This thing looks sweet. One thing I dont get. Its says it has a built in web server and I can network it via Ethernet. Thats awesome. But then it says I need a "1761-NET-AIC". Im confused. Can I or cant I network Out of the Box? Is this "1761-NET-AIC" only needed for connecting PLC to another PLC?

And this can all be done through the free version of RS LOGIX 500 right? No additional AB software needed for this?

Last edited:
Yeah the 1100 is a nice unit, surpassed only by the 1400. ;) You don't need the 1761-NET-AIC unless you plan to connect to a DH485 network which is through the serial port, not Ethernet. Using the Ethernet port doesn't require any extra hardware except the usual Cat5 cables, switches, etc.

And this can all be done through the free version of RS LOGIX 500 right? No additional AB software needed for this?
That is correct.

The web server allows you, when the unit is connected to a network, type in the IP address in a web browser and 'see' it. You don't program it that way though. The 1100's come with DHCP enabled which means if you connect it to a network there has to be a DHCP server out there somewhere to give it an IP address. If not, which is typical in a home network, you wont be able to communicate via ethernet. However, if you go online with it via the serial port (RsLogix 500) you can give it a static IP address (and disable DHCP and BOOTP) and then connect via the ethernet port. Communicating via ethernet is much faster so that is what I typically do.

If you have the Rockwell BOOTP server program you can use that to set the IP address directly without using the serial port, then you don't even need a DF1 cable.