Stratix 5700 VLANs

nuflia

Hope everyone is doing well,

I have 7 off Stratix Switch 5700(SW01,02,03,04,05,06 and SW07), each switch is connected to different CIP nodes such as Powerflex drives , SIEMESN SIMOCODES, Compact Logix , Scada InTouch , Prosoft Gateways, all switches are connected as star topology to the main Stratix switch (SW01) which has the main PLC Guardlogix controller.
all CIP nodes from all switches plus the main PLC (GuardLogix controller) are in the same subnet starting 10.100.13.X
I wanted to segregate the traffic by using the VLAN; creating VLAN for each Switch say; VLAN10,20,30,40,50,50 and VLAN70 , leaving the IP addresses as the same as they are 10.100.13.X .
Would the GuardLogix controller still communicate with the different CIP nodes across all the switches SW01,02,03,04,05,06 and SW07,
GuardLogix controller is residing in SW01 , which gateway address do I have to use for all CIP nodes , would it be the IP address of the GuardLogix controller residing on SW01 , or the IP address of the SW01

Appreciate the help

Hello, if you are keeping all of the nodes with the same subnet, then there is no need to segregate the traffic. The "Out of the Box" state of the stratix is perfect for what you are doig. If you create vlans, the only advantage of that is using multiple subnets for different processes on the same switch hardware. In your case if all devices are remaining on the same subnet, then VLANS will not give you an advantage. And if you do happen to create vlans, then you would have to change the IPs of the devices on those particular VLANs, as well as, if you want the guard logix to still communicate, then one of the stratix switches would need to be configured for a router, which again it would need to be a stratix 5700 that has routing capabilities.

In short, if all the nodes are on the same subnet, no need for vlans. I hope this helps and look forward to hearing what you did. :)