Student Needs Help

I guess the bottom line is that PLCs now need buttons to insert common functions, because the programmer cannot be expected to know the math.

i would use a type of scale function just give two x values and twoy values and as the formula is a straight line.
no need for calculation with approximations.
strat with -40=-40
0=32

ok let me give you a little background here, I'm no child I'm actually 44. I've been working at a robotics company for 12+ years. We use proprietary software, controllers, PLC's, servo's etc. We don't use a lot of ladder except for our most primitive machines.

As the years have progressed I've spent more time handshaking with other controllers, secondary equipment, vision systems, smaller articulating robots etc.
To better assist myself I decided to take some automation courses at the local tech college.

The logic is rather easy to compose what I don't know(and subsequently trying to learn) is how various other machines need to be programmed. Right now we're on Allen Bradley's.

I'm simply trying to learn but finding the instructors less than stellar with the larger class size.

So yes some of this probably could've been better worded or more specific. Next time I'll know better.

Those that actually helped, thank you.

BTW I can do basic math.