Studio 5000 Control Logix I/O Address Names

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm going to start programming a 1756-L73 and I'm still waiting for the full Studio5000 to be able to start at it in earnest.

But I want to get started setting up some Aliases etc. I have Studio 5000 Mini and setup a Compact Logix similar to my what my CLX system to get a feel for how the I/O is named.

My CLX system will be (in order in A10 rack)
1756-L73
1756-EN2T
1756-IB16
1756-IB16
1756-IF8
1756-OB8
1756-OB8
1756-OF8
Open
Open

When I setup a compact logix, the digital I/O is something like:

Local:1:I.Pt00.Data
Local:1:I.Pt01.Data

But I Have seen a lot of examples online where the addressing is in an array something like:

Local:1:I.Data[00] etc.

Is this a difference of Control Logix vs. Compact Logix or maybe the way I have Studio 5000 Setup. I barely ever use this software so apologies for the simple question

Thanks,

The naming convention you see for CompactLogix looks like the 5069 I/O. The 1769 I/O looked similar to ControlLogix. This isn't anything you have done, Rockwell has done this to you.

• 1769 Local I/O = Local:1:I.Data.x
  • 5069 Local I/O = Local:1:I.Ptxx.Data
  • CLX Local I/O = Local:1:I.Data.x
  • Point I/O = ModuleName:I.Data[1].x or ModuleName:1:I.x
  • Safety Point I/O = ModuleName:1:I.PtxxData

Consistency is the key.

Only thing I would add is that the addressing method is not necessarily dependent on ControlLogix versus CompactLogix. It is instead unique to the I/O platform. As dmroeder mentions and shows, the 1769 and 1756 I/O platforms address their I/O in a pretty similar fashion. There are some differences here and there, but overall they are pretty similar. The newer 5069-type I/O does definitely shake things up a bit.

But, if you add in the older older 1794 Flex I/O you will see more differences, particularly with analog. And then if you add in the newer 5069-type I/O you see even more differences. Things can also get a little weird with Remote I/O addressing. Particularly when you use a feature called Rack Optimization. I think that feature is unique to the 1756 and 1794 I/O platforms.

So don't tie what you are seeing to the controller, but instead to the type of I/O being used.

OG

Last time I checked, quite a lot of cards create both variables for you. Worth pointing out that when you have a DINT you can address bits as DINT_variable[bit_variable] instead of .0, .1, etc...

Please don't alias variables to IO addresses.

I'm also wondering whey the Rockwell Part numbering/naming is so strange. Like why the heck are the ControlLogix 5570 and 5580 Controllers part numbers starting with 1756??

Why aren't they all just 1756 controllers or why don't the 5570 controller part numbers start with 5570 etc.

I guess if you use these parts all the time you get used to it but it's hella confusing when you only use it sporatically.

Part number versus the brand/family. All things ControlLogix are "1756-something" for a part number. But 5560, 5570, 5580 are product families, or you could even say they are a way of grouping related generations of controllers.

They did something similar with their older generations of PLCs. For example:

1785-L40B = PLC-5/40
1747-L553 = SLC 5/05

OG

Last edited: