Studio 5000 Download Variants

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Morning Everyone,

Was browsing the Rockwell download page this morning looking for the multiple version download and noticed an option I hadn't seen before. Has anyone ever used the Virtual Image Template before?

I looked up some articles and saw a lot of mention of PlantPAX but it appeared in the Studio 5000 download. Is this a preconfigured VM for virtualization? Just wondering what exactly it was and if anyone had ever used it before.

Also anyone know the difference between the product media kit and the lite web download?

Thanks

Virtual Image Template.jpg Product Media Kit.jpg

Yes, this is a preconfigured Windows 10 VM. It is in an OVA format so it can be added into any virtualization format that supports OVA. I use VMware and it is supported and loads up just fine.

It includes RSLogix 5000 v20, and Studio 5000 v21, 24, 28, 30, 31, 32, 33. Of course you can always add other versions to it.

This is actually the PlantPAx EWS virtual template and it includes a lot of RA software. Not just Logix software. It includes View ME/SE, and RSNetWorx ENET/CNET/DNET. Of course you have to provide Windows and RA product licenses.

OG

Last edited:
That's pretty neat that they provide VMs like that.

They also just released the 5000 SDK. Without documentation, but it's there.

This is actually the PlantPAx EWS virtual template and it includes a lot of RA software. Not just Logix software. It includes View ME/SE, and RSNetWorx ENET/CNET/DNET. Of course you have to provide Windows and RA product licenses.

OG

But keep in mind the template under the logix downloads is free but the Plant PAX templates are purchased products.

I am curious to know the difference, can anyone explain? Thanks

In the past, the media kit was a DVD with the software and they sent a red envelope with the activation key.

Now it's a flash drive instead of a DVD and AFAIK they no longer send the activation on paper in the envelope it's email only.

It is the way they package them. When you download and extract the files for the Media Kit it gives you two separate folders. Each of those folders is sized to fit on a dual layer DVD (about 8.5GB). Although "disc 2" is actually just a bit less than 5GB.

The Media Kit version also includes other software, like Emulate and RSNetWorx on disc 2. There is probably more than that added to it. But those are the notable differences.

You don't have to burn it to a DVD to use the files. But you can, which I think was the point.

OG

It is the way they package them. When you download and extract the files for the Media Kit it gives you two separate folders. Each of those folders is sized to fit on a dual layer DVD (about 8.5GB). Although "disc 2" is actually just a bit less than 5GB.

The Media Kit version also includes other software, like Emulate and RSNetWorx on disc 2. There is probably more than that added to it. But those are the notable differences.

You don't have to burn it to a DVD to use the files. But you can, which I think was the point.

OG

I didn't know they started setting them up like that. Years ago, we would order a media refresh to get everything on disk because downloading, you had to search a lot and could not get the multi-version installer.

I always said why didn't they just make .iso files of the media available for download and burn yourself without doing a media refresh.