Studio 5000 Totalizer Function Block GPM to MGD

jfritz8

I am trying to setup the TOT function block so that I bring in GPM and want to output MGD. I cannot seem to figure out the correct gain in the function block. I typically use GPM and convert it to Gal x 1000 using the gain, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get MGD as the totalized output. Has anyone ever tried to do this using the TOT function block?

Currently it is set for 1 second (1000 ms). I've found that converting the GPM number to gals per day then using that as the input, setting the gain to .00000144 seems to work. But I was hoping to not have to do that conversion elsewhere in the program.

Currently it is set for 1 second (1000 ms). I've found that converting the GPM number to gals per day then using that as the input, setting the gain to .00000144 seems to work. But I was hoping to not have to do that conversion elsewhere in the program.

How are you converting GPM to [gals per day]?

that's what I thought.

So if the reading is, oh, say, 1440GPM, you divide that by 1440 to get 1.000GPD?

What seems to be missing is a sense of proportion ...

So that's what I'm trying to figure out. Ideally I would like to keep it at GPM in the totalizer and output Million Gallons per Day.

I am taking the GPM and DIV by 1440.

that's what I thought.

So if the reading is, oh, say, 1440GPM, you divide that by 1440 to get 1.000GPD?

What seems to be missing is a sense of proportion ...

So that's what I'm trying to figure out. Ideally I would like to keep it at GPM in the totalizer and output Million Gallons per Day.

Okay, so you have a flowrate of 1440gpm, that is one thousand four hundred forty gallons every minute, and you think if it keeps flowing at that rate, over a thousand gallons per minute, minute after minute, for a full day, that it will accumulate but one gallon over the course of that day (1.000GPD).

Does that sound right to you?

Last edited:
I think that you are confusing flow rates with totalization. A flow rate of 1 MGD = 694.44 GPM so if you were to flow at 694.44 GPM for 1440 minutes (1 day) you would end up with a totalized value of 1 million gallons for the day. If you want the totalizer to read how many millions of gallons have been produced for the day then probably the easiest would be to divide the GPM reading by 694.44 and feed that into the totalizer at give it an appropriate rate. Unfortunately its been too long since I attempted to do this in AB I can't give a good answer for what the rate should be.

I think that you are confusing flow rates with totalization. A flow rate of 1 MGD = 694.44 GPM so if you were to flow at 694.44 GPM for 1440 minutes (1 day) you would end up with a totalized value of 1 million gallons for the day. If you want the totalizer to read how many millions of gallons have been produced for the day then probably the easiest would be to divide the GPM reading by 694.44 and feed that into the totalizer at give it an appropriate rate. Unfortunately its been too long since I attempted to do this in AB I can't give a good answer for what the rate should be.

As you point out, flow RATE is the volume per time. It can be gallons per minute, or million gallons per day, acre-feet per fortnight, or ......

A flow TOTAL is just volume. If you multiply any flow rate by the elapsed time interval at that rate and add it to the previous total volume you will get the volume accumulated over the time elapsed since initiating the totalizer.

The easiest way to do this is to totalize as gallons and then divide by one million to get totalized million gallons. This will NOT be mgd, except at the very end of the day.