Suggestions for remote desktop software?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I'm working on a project where remote desktop connectivity through both PCs and mobile devices is desired. Typically I use TeamViewer, but the issue here is that a project funding will be more than happy to pay for upfront costs, but they won't pay for ongoing costs. TeamViewer is pretty damn expensive, and the small water/wastewater districts I work on often have sticker stock when we discuss annual costs for remote connectivity. I'm thus looking for alternatives, hopefully (but maybe fruitlessly) looking for something that doesn't have an annual cost, just a one time purchase price. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions?

What operating system? Why not just install a gateway/firewall (or two for DMZ) and then use VPN to connect inside and remote desktop (if you're using Windows) for actual connection to the computers? RDP works good on Android and I think it's also supported on apple devices.

Last edited:
I have used TightVNC, it's freeware. I have it to remote in on Siemens Wincc boxes.
But, I don't think they support mobile devices.

Real VNC is very Nice, supports mobile devices, but cost $40 per year, per remote machine.

What operating system? Why not just install a gateway/firewall (or two for DMZ) and then use VPN to connect inside and remote desktop (if you're using Windows) for actual connection to the computers? RDP works good on Android and I think it's also supported on apple devices.

Windows 10 on the workstation PC; iOS and Android devices needing to log in remotely. Your suggestion is definitely possible, a little outside of my wheel house knowledge-wise. We have something similar set up for another client, they have to log into a VPN and then run a remote desktop connection app. Not impossible, but it would be so damn nice to just have an easy to use program that was a simple tap on a phone. The operators just aren't computer savvy and I find even now, three plus years later I still have questions and confusion about setting it up with VPN and RDC.

Windows 10 on the workstation PC; iOS and Android devices needing to log in remotely. Your suggestion is definitely possible, a little outside of my wheel house knowledge-wise. We have something similar set up for another client, they have to log into a VPN and then run a remote desktop connection app. Not impossible, but it would be so damn nice to just have an easy to use program that was a simple tap on a phone. The operators just aren't computer savvy and I find even now, three plus years later I still have questions and confusion about setting it up with VPN and RDC.
If it is set up correctly it can be really easy.

VPN is just a click, same procedure as connecting to a wifi when everything is set up.

You can create desktop shortcuts for RDC, so connecting with it will be a double click and entering a password (which would be needed in TeamViewer anyway or credentials can be saved which I wouldn't recommend).

Setting everything up is maybe a little trickier if not done before, but any software you haven't used before will have a learning curve.

Last edited:
We bought a license for Anydesk with a couple of extra seats. I think we pay about $200/year. Most of our customers (water/wastewater) will use the free version and it doesn't hassle them like Teamviewer does. It sets up very similar to Teamviewer and works just as well, although some things do look different and the way that the address book and passwords are handled is different.

If it is set up correctly it can be really easy.

VPN is just a click, same procedure as connecting to a wifi when everything is set up.

You can create desktop shortcuts for RDC, so connecting with it will be a double click and entering a password (which would be needed in TeamViewer anyway or credentials can be saved which I wouldn't recommend).

Setting everything up is maybe a little trickier if not done before, but any software you haven't used before will have a learning curve.

I'll do some research on how this would be set up, thanks for the tip. What VPN software would you suggest using, or would you use a hardware solution?

We bought a license for Anydesk with a couple of extra seats. I think we pay about $200/year. Most of our customers (water/wastewater) will use the free version and it doesn't hassle them like Teamviewer does. It sets up very similar to Teamviewer and works just as well, although some things do look different and the way that the address book and passwords are handled is different.

I just heard about AnyDesk earlier this week, thanks for bringing it up. Prices are definitely more approachable than TeamViewer, and with our system being so simple (single workstation) maybe the free version would work, I'll check it out.

I'll do some research on how this would be set up, thanks for the tip. What VPN software would you suggest using, or would you use a hardware solution?

Depends on so much, how your network looks like. I'd suggest something outside the actual workstation. Could be a router with vpn built in or another machine running linux or anything (too complicated in this case I guess).

Depends on so much, how your network looks like. I'd suggest something outside the actual workstation. Could be a router with vpn built in or another machine running linux or anything (too complicated in this case I guess).

This is going to be as simple of a system as you can imagine. Literally one PC workstation with a DSL internet connection. Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC will talk to the PC workstation via Ethernet/IP for comms to Wonderware.

I've used Sonicwalls in the past, they seem to work well. That level of network administration is pulling away from what I feel comfortable/knowledgeable about, though. My networking experience is only small, residential stuff. Having the onus of security on my work scares me a good bit, haha.

I would look at Windows Remote Desktop
it already installed in windows you will need to learn how to set port forwarding in the router. You It guys should be able to set it up for you

I would look at Windows Remote Desktop
it already installed in windows you will need to learn how to set port forwarding in the router. You It guys should be able to set it up for you

Just port-forwarding RDP from the Untrust side of a router is not a good idea. Your windows server is now available for any spotty teenager to run password cracking software on.

VPNs are very simple to set up.

We use Draytek ADSL modems which support up to 32 VPN clients for the models we use. They have good setup instructions. The operators use ipads to access one of 3 servers remotely. Its as simple as "enable VPN" with one push on the ipad, then open up the RealVNC client app and select which server to connect to.

TightVNC is ok but i don't think there's a version for mobile devices that dont run Windows?

We still have a transparent firewall between the ADSL modem and the plant network so only VNC traffic goes in. To program the PLC you need to be local or VNC into the engineering work station, log in and then open the software. But that's just our requirements, if its a low risk site I'd still be comfortable with allowing access to the PLC via VPN.