Surge protector vs Lighting protector

flyers

Dear all,

In one of my project, the client spec required us to put lighting protector for all the incoming cable from another block of building to our control panel in other building (cables about 300m) . It's all contact signal.

I'd like to ask is surge protector same as lighting protector? I hardly find lighting protector.

Hmmm, they're not the type that ask you for a 6 amp short circuit too are they? Jokes, safe to say they are looking for over voltage protection. If lightning strikes your cables then your up for a few joints to say the least. I would like to think that VDR's will be ok for your application. At the least they will satisfy the overvoltage requirement of the scope of works.

We use TVSS (transient voltage surge suppression) in all of our long cable runs. Brand name we use is (INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY). We also have been using a lot of fiber to get away from using TVSS. We have several applications where went wirelwess.

The biggest difference between a surge and lightning protection. Surge protection can handle "normal" surges on AC power lines. Depending on the quality of surge protector, it may be one time event. TVSS devices are typically made to handle extremely high voltages (such as those induced from lightning).

Thanks for all the info, I'm contacting Eaton for TVSS, must study how their product works. Hopefully to get some reply from this tomorrow.