Taking Tools abroad

chud

I have travelled quite a bit and everytime i go and to work abroad I am stuck with the average tools that the contractors have on-site. I have never taken the risk of taking my own toolbag with on a flight (carry on or check-in). Always just take my own laptop.
This time round i want to take my portable toolbag with me. What has been peoples experience with customs and airlines regarding hand tools and esp battery powered hand tools with flights?

🍺

You cannot take your tools as carry-on into the cabin.
You need to check them in with the rest of your baggage.

Some airports are hysterical if there are tools or similar in the checked bagage.
I normally dont say anything, but if asked I tell them that there are tools.
That in turn may trigger that you have to bring your bagage to a special check-in (I guess with a more powerful X-ray machine).

Customs is normally not a problem. If you have very special and expensive tools, you may have to bring proof that you owned them when you left your country. Otherwise you may have to pay customs for bringing them back in.

I have experienced customers that have their own "check-in" procedure, where ALL tools have to be listed and checked. Otherwise you cannot bring them back out again.

Batteries are ok on a flight as long as they are not in the actual tool. Pack the tool to one side and the batteries on the other.

Usually on overseas trips, we pack a pelican case. Don't lock it, TSA WILL want to rifle it. Then they leave you a nice note telling you they rifled it.

I have also check my personal luggage the same way. Small tool bag with meter, hand tools, ect. Again they will open it and look in the tool bag. Never had it NOT happen

I have only had a flashlight taken. Pretty sure he used the flashlight to look in the bag and then decided to keep the light.

There's alway a risk, so only take that which you are willing to lose. Never know when the next TSA agent will be a budding electrician and he really likes your Kleins.

Fair travels!

Last edited:
I did this for years.

I placed my tool bag in a hardcase Pelican along with my PPE.

I liked using my own stuff vs. what was available on the job.

Always had TSA stickers inside of there but never an issue with what I was bringing in.

I individually wrap my tools in underwear, and carry them in my regular suitcase. I rarely have tsa bother to inspect them.

I do pack sharps (diagonal cutters, razors, screw drivers) in a clear plastic bag and shove them in my safety shoes.

The only battery tools I've carried take AA or 9v cells. I'm not sure if our chargers would work abroad. I'd have to take a closer look.

If you fly to China, or on a Chinese airline, they have strict limitations on LiIon batteries. Telephones and laptops have to be powered off, not just in airplane mode, and you are allowed ONE spare lithium battery - whether it is in something, a power-bank for your phone or a second battery for your laptop - and then each airline has a limitation on how large capacity it can be (a large power-bank or normal laptop battery is too large)

The X-ray units used by the Chinese detect lithium batteries and the luggage is set aside for a full search - I HAD a rechargeable flashlight on my way over there.

Treellama, I checked before my trip and every charger I had (laptops, tablet, phone and USB pack) were all rated for 240 volts, so I only needed a set of plug adapters - no voltage converter.

And I bought one of those special E-power adapters for airplanes for my laptop and every plane I was on had 120 or 240 VAC and not one had an E-power outlet.

+1 on the no carry-on issue. I cannot even count the number of screwdrivers, side cutters, pliers, hammers etc. I have donated to Airport Security depts. I once missed a flight over how many people had to look over one of these, even after I demonstrated what it did and how it worked...

mpzxGGgvpRw5-Vq5IuocsZQ.jpg

I've never had an issue checking my tool bag. I usually set it in my luggage with my work clothes. Only one time did the even complain, and that was a day that it weighed over 50 lbs. They asked if there was anything inside that I could take out, I said no, and paid a small fee for being over 50lbs.

I did inadvertently carry on a handful of tools in my laptop bag one day though. I was working late the night before the flight, and put a pair of wire strippers and various screw driver in my laptop bag when packing up. The next day, went thru security with my laptop case.

Got on the air plane, sat down. Opened my laptop bag cause I knew I had some crackers in a pouch, rummaged around a bit to find them, and pulled out my screw drivers on the flight. Decided to tuck them back inside their compartment and not say anything. I was young and it was right after 9/11 when they were ramping up security so I was a bit worried I'd get in trouble if someone spotted me with those types of tools on the flight.

.....trouble if someone spotted me with those types of tools on the flight.

I once flew to Canada and when I asked for insurance on my checked tools (expensive meters and calibrator on that trip) I was told no insurance was available over the stock $600 given and was told to carry it on.

Security took the blades out of my utility knife but allowed all the other tools. I wanted to say that if something happened, and I had to protect myself with my tools, that utility knife would be the last thing I grab - especially with a full screwdriver set that included a few 9" long that would penetrate considerably deeper than a 1-1/2" reach blade.

Treellama, I checked before my trip and every charger I had (laptops, tablet, phone and USB pack) were all rated for 240 volts, so I only needed a set of plug adapters - no voltage converter.

And I bought one of those special E-power adapters for airplanes for my laptop and every plane I was on had 120 or 240 VAC and not one had an E-power outlet.

Yeah, consumer electronics are fine. I was more thinking about battery drills and other power tools. If I'm abroad and need those, I just buy one locally.

If you fly to China, or on a Chinese airline, they have strict limitations on LiIon batteries. Telephones and laptops have to be powered off, not just in airplane mode, and you are allowed ONE spare lithium battery - whether it is in something, a power-bank for your phone or a second battery for your laptop - and then each airline has a limitation on how large capacity it can be (a large power-bank or normal laptop battery is too large)

The X-ray units used by the Chinese detect lithium batteries and the luggage is set aside for a full search - I HAD a rechargeable flashlight on my way over there.

I am going to China again. Guess i will just leave all my nice battery powered tools behind.Dont want to have security issues in a foreign country. Uuurgh . Thanks for all the info guys.

One issue that you can face in some countries is in immigration. If you are carrying a set of tools but travelling on a regular tourist visa then this can be a problem. Generally, if your going for a "meeting" then a tourist visa seems to be OK but if you're carrying tools then you may need a work visa. I have experienced this travelling to Canada in the past and I wouldn't risk it in China either.

Nick

"business" visa.
A "work permit" is nigh impossible to get in most countries.
And if they ask, then you are a "supervisor", you are not gong to "work" on the machines.
The tools are so you can show the workers how to do it. A meter is so you can check they have done it right.

"business" visa.
A "work permit" is nigh impossible to get in most countries.
And if they ask, then you are a "supervisor", you are not gong to "work" on the machines.
The tools are so you can show the workers how to do it. A meter is so you can check they have done it right.

You are quite right, of course, but that doesn't always work.

I (and others I know) have been forced to pay additional visa fees on entry to Canada. You can argue with immigration officials all you like but if they say no then that is that.

I've worked in China on and off since the 1980's and it used to be common to enter China on a tourist visa but then police started visiting factories and people with the wrong class of visa were obliged to buy the correct visa class. These days I have a multi-entry class M visa in my passport.

Nick

No tools whatsoever in hand luggage. Whenever possible I take along all the tools that I may need. As long as my work is not impacted too much I preferably bring cheap versions, just in case things get taken out by customs (or indeed any greedy hands at client location - one reason not to fly with a Fluke meter). My suitcase is never locked, so easily available for inspection when needed.

I have never had a problem flying with tools nor PLC parts. Then again I do not fly every other day.