Temperature Monitoring RR

Chattahoochee

I was wondering if anyone has ever had to setup a system to monitor temperature of the contents of a parked stationary railroad tank car.
I can find no information if thermowells are standard on tank cars?
Short of just opening the top hatch and dropping a thermocouple into the material (non-hazardous liquid wax) I don't know of any solutions.
Anyone have any experience with this?

Surface mount may be an option
I'm not sure what percentage of the tank cars in use are double-wall construction, but I know that with the increased volume of crude oil transport by rail, there is a lot of pressure for the industry to move in that direction. Unless the OP knows for sure that his customer will only be dealing with single-wall tanks, a surface-mount sensor may not be viable.

Thanks for the reply, it would be a 4-20 analog signal to the PLC for heat control via steam lines, now it is done with timers and they want a more accurate way of doing it to ensure the contents don't get too hot.

I'm not sure what percentage of the tank cars in use are double-wall construction, but I know that with the increased volume of crude oil transport by rail, there is a lot of pressure for the industry to move in that direction. Unless the OP knows for sure that his customer will only be dealing with single-wall tanks, a surface-mount sensor may not be viable.

I had seen these on the Omega website but didn't know how close the reading would be if the tank wall was double wall. It would also eliminate having to lower a thermocouple as the material slowly empties from the tank
Will run this by their people and see if they want to go that route, thanks.

If you can not get into the tank put the sensor on the steamline return.
stay as close as possible to the steampipe preventing overheating.
for a simple control look at a deepfrier (very simple control just open/close mechanical.)