Things you don't want to hear on a start up.

When it goes quiet you can hear the wolves

The first EtherNet/IP I/O system I ever worked on was a sawmill retrofit with some enormous Newnes debarkers at the infeed. Every time a log came in the whole wood-frame building shook.

We started ramping up speed on the sawline and had the big hogs chewing up waste and .. WWEEEERRRRRNNNNNNNnnnnnn....... everthing coasted to a stop.

The integrator had chosen Netgear switches with "wall wart" power supplies and they'd simply shaken out of the receptacles in the enclosure.

As far as I know they're still zip-tied in place.

That was a great startup; there was no budget for travel or lodging so I camped in the nearby State Park in the bed of a borrowed 1984 F-150.

Start up of new hydraulic press just this morning:

We checked it thoroughly yesterday. Engineer C. throws the disconnect and pushes the start pumps button. Otis hears the pump motor ramping up to speed and comes running - "Wait wait wait wait wait.... I took a plug out to see what size it was and its not back in yet." Fortunately the VFDs were set for 35% speed for initial startup, otherwise the spill would have been a lot worse.

A Co-worker of mine was in the merchant navy many years ago. While out at sea, the diesels loose rev's. This occurs several days in a row.

Turns out, the cleaner was standing on the manual valve for the fuel line to clean those "hard to reach places"

"Here's the box of that Vision stuff we bought from you. You know what we need to detect. Here is the line, install it anywhere you want"

"This wireless stuff worked great in the garage, why not here between the buildings and the forest?"

Guy at work has a '41 Merc convertible with the flathead V-8.

He replaced the factory single barrel carb with a 2 barrel Rochester carb and an adapter plate for the intake manifold, but it never ran right.

He was finally convinced that the accelerator pump wasn't working. I told him to check it visually first, by just looking down the throat when his wife pumped the accelerator and watch for shooting streams of gasoline, but he went ahead and pulled the carb off anyhow.

He brought the carb into work and at lunch we pulled the top cover off. What falls out but a piece of 0.025" aluminum plate about 1.5" x 2" which I assume is a float gauge for the various notches on it. Last time I checked the float gauge was not part of the carb.

Where did that float gauge go? It was right here a minute ago . . .

Commissioning a Feed Mill in the Philippines, we couldn't work out why the batching system was out by around 60 kg's intermittently. We had been chasing the problem (and our tails) when I happened to be looking at the weight Indicator when I saw the weight Increase by about 60 kg's. I immediately ran out to have a look at the main load hopper and was lucky enough to catch the cleaner climbing of the equipment after having diligently swept all of the dust from the top of the main hopper.

He replaced the factory single barrel carb with a 2 barrel Rochester carb and an adapter plate for the intake manifold, but it never ran right.
Man, those old carburetors could be a pain. They needing periodic rebuilding with new seals and gaskets, and constant adjusting. Young ones today do not realize what headaches they don't have, because of the computer-controlled fuel injectors.

Last edited:
Man, those old carburetors could be a pain. They needing periodic rebuilding with new seals and gaskets, and constant adjusting. Young ones today do not realize what headaches thye don't have because of the computer-controlled fuel injectors.
OT: When I first bought my old Jeep, its 2bbl needed attention so I took the breather off and found a piece of strap metal wrapped around one corner bolted down with the carb mount bolt and there was a bit of a leak there. I took out the bolt and the corner of the main casting fell off. Okay, time for a new carb, so I hit the local parts houses and was quoted over $600 for a reman. motorcraft. So, I bought a 2-4bbl adapter, and the smallest edelbrock 4bbl they had for under $300. I had to put some steel hardening epoxy in some corners of the adapter in order to get it to seal correctly (upside down) but the darn thing ran surprisingly well with that arrangement, until I could save up for the 4bbl intake and correct jets/needles...

"hey has anyone seen my 8" crescent? - it was on top of the block last I saw it.
:nodi:

BTDT.

I was working my way through college working as an installer for a commercial HVAC company. My right cut tin snips were getting dull so one morning while we were out getting supplies I bought a new pair of high quality $nip$. We were putting up duct in a mall. At one point I went to grab my new snips off my tool belt and the weren't there. I hunted high and low and couldn't find them anywhere. Finally I climbed up and peered down the inside of the duct and there about 100' down I could see my brand new snips. To my knowledge the snips are still there.

And as far as I know the 24" crescent wrench I left laying on the bottom of a sixteen foot high water tank before it was filled s few years ago is still there. šŸ™ƒ

The old snips in the ductwork get you everytime. My helper cut a supply in the bottom of a trunk to get my duct stretcher back.

Me at end-of-shift passdown: "We installed the new soft start, motor and pump but we haven't checked rotation."

Mechanic: "Yeah, be sure to check that before you guys fire it up"

Incoming supervisor:"Ok, so you guys installed the pump and it's ready to go?"

Me: "After you check rotation, yes."

------THE NEXT DAY---------

Leaving supervisor: "Oh, and you guys will have to put the old pump back on. The motor was turning the wrong way and blew out the new pump."

Me: "...<sigh>" šŸ™ƒ