Timing,timing,timing

Hello Alan

Hi Peter.
There was one of those machines just down the road. Was used to sort corn kernels. It used to blow any miscoloured kernels into a reject bin
Regards Alan Case
There are many companies that make sorters that simply blow the bad product into a reject line. We we do is more specialized in that we remove defects from the bad product. We can see skin, sugar content, rot, and chlorophyl and remove it. The trick is removing the defect. My business partner came up with knife idea about 25 years ago but at that time the BLDC motors had too much inertia, the DC motors with brushes would wear out and the CPU power was limited.

We use custom made low inertia BLDC motors. The acceleration rate reaches 800g. We have tried many different means of cutting the fries.
It has taken a long time to get this far.

OK, and to show off a bit. It is hard for me to get excited about latches too.

:D That got a chuckle...

When I see you've posted I know I'm in for a treat. Big fan here, keep on truckin'!

Edit: I'll add that I did a hydraulic motion application three years ago. I worked with a hydraulic tech that handled the RMC75 programming for a spring checker. I did the SLC 5/03. Hydraulic ram compresses coil spring to position or force. The hydraulic guy raved about Delta support. We did two more machines with similar controls. The tech later moved on and I was called in when the plant replaced a hydraulic cylinder with a new one with longer stroke. I had to get into the Delta motion controller program. I didn't immediately figure it out. I called your tech support and immediately had a knowledgeable ear on the other end. Sent him the program and he called me back and immediately told me where the stroke limits were input as constants. He offered a tip on changing the limits to a variable plus X, which I implemented. I hope to do more work with the Delta systems.

Last edited:
Gentelman my sincere apologies, I neglected to mention the bar travels through induction coils and reaches the shear at about 2300 degrees. The tolerances are wide due to the fact they are stamped as railroad spikes.

Yes, you are correct keith, the bar is pushed through the coils and once the shear makes the first cut it is pulled through and the operator then releases the push rolls.The automation came and they are tring to sell me a ge plc but i prefer ab slc we are not that complicated to warrant anything like the control ligix even though i would like to get familiar with the tag format.they will deliver me a quto next week sometime, i myself still have got the bar reaching the shear point of contact and releasing the push roll to give me about one inch on the first cut, i would like to experiment with other forms of control but i feel they are time pressed,
thanks, monitoring you all!