TISOFT Compatibility between Texas 505 & 305 CPUs

andy_1983

Hi,

Just looking for a quick pointer.

I want to upload an old program out of a Texas 305 PLC. The program was last downloaded in the 90s so I’m fairly sure it’ll have been done with TISOFT.

We don’t have any offline code, so all I can do is an upload to get the undocumented ladder.

I’ve got a copy of Tisoft somewhere, I used it a while ago for working on a Texas 525 CPU. The question is: will my version of Tisoft that I used on a series 505 cpu also work on the 305. Or are there 2 different versions of Tisoft, one for each type of PLC.

I know there are options to use automation direct software, but I don’t really want to buy that, as this will be a one time upload.

Thanks for any info

Andy

Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case.

Does anyone know of any links for download of the 305 version? I guess it’s not available for sale any more

Andy

I've Got a Texas model 305 03DM - Data Communications Unit RS232C, this was fastened to a PLC which was removed from use a few years ago. Is this the unit I need? I rescued it just because it looked like a programming interface.

Just need the software if it is. I can make a cable if I’ve not got one suitable. I do have a cable I used on a TI 505 - which might be the same.

Andy

Thanks for the help with this. I've done an upload.

I uploaded the ladder and the registers. I've now got 2 files saved with the following extensions

.VMM
.VPU

as it was an upload with no offline copy, I don't have any rung or element comments. I can view the ladder offline now. and I'm assuming if I need to I could download these into a new CPU.

It was a 330 CPU in the end, so I did need the DCU in this case.

Many thanks for all the information / help

I've just got the HMI to look at now, which was a Bead Interconnect CT5

Andy

It was a 330 CPU in the end, so I did need the DCU in this case.

I've recommended to get the D3-340 CPU (340 CPU) from Automation Direct instead of using the CPU 330 to avoid needing the DCU unit. You can use a direct RS-232 connection to the CPU (DB9-RJ11). You would only need to change the CPU type in the CONFME (or something like that... "Config Memory") in TISOFT. The CPU type in TISOFT is 335, which is the same as the 340.

The pin out for the cable is in the link below:

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/directsoftcables.pdf

Last edited: