Trace in Beckhoff IPC

aand74

I want to make traces of variables in a Beckhoff IPC (that is not the engineering pc). Is it so that I should install the Twincat Scope server on that IPC?
If so, how can I do that, as I only can go to the Beckhoff Device Manager screen, but do not see any possibility to install the Scope Server package.

The Scope that comes with the XAE development environment is limited to 60 minute runtimes. This might make it unsuitable for your purpose.
It is sold as a separate license in situations where you wish to use it for bespoke specific data gathering.

Scope itself is a client/server affair. The server on the XAR PLC part is what does that actual data snagging. The client, which one runs on the XAE development machine gets the data sent over ADS/TCPIP from the XAR server. This means that comms between the two has less chance to drop data since the server holds onto a buffered amount of data.

You can download TCScope from the Beckhoff website as a separately installable package. It won't just work though, it will need a whole bunch of ADS router and such like before it stands a chance. You are just as well off installing the whole of XAE on the machine you just want Scope on, at least that will "just work" But whichever you do, without a separate license purchase, it will be restricted to 60 minute runs. You can restart it as often as you like, but it will stop every 60 minutes.

As a side note, Scope is brilliant. It's one of the really great things on the Beckhoff platform and doesn't get anything like the attention and adulation it deserves.