Traffic lights noob.

Instructional

When I was instructing PLC programmers for a living, I almost always used the traffic light or passenger elevator examples to get the beginners started.
As was mentioned above, we would start out with just 2-way controls. As the day and following days that week progressed, I would challenge them with more functionality...pedestrian crosswalk..."No Right Turn" lights (during pedestrian crossings)...left turn arrows...in ground presence sensors...a setting to allow for 4-way flashing Reds (after midnight) or an E-W Flashing Yellow/N-S Flashing Red....power-up sequence reset...
And all of this done using basic logic but later progressing using modular code so the student could see its advantages over what would otherwise become spaghetti code.
I had also created some logic that was part of everyone's project so that if the green light for both E/W AND N/S was on at the same time, the processor faulted. :angr:

We would use RSView32 (later FTViewSE standalone) and RSTestStand for the interfaces and RSEmulate for the processor. Originally done for the A-B PLC-5 later SLC500/MicroLogix and eventually Logix platform.

I had "ported" the class materials so it could be taught using ladder logic, structured text or SFCs. Because it was easy to relate to, the student got more out of it than if I had come up with some esoteric discrete process as the model to program for.
It's great watching students go from timid to "Hey teacher, my program detects if a dog takes a **** in the intersection!!!" in that 1 week. (y)

Last edited:
So Craig
DO we blame you for causing us more than 7 years of traffic light CR_P on this Forum:angr:
- I think So:moon2:
### Did you see any of your students posting on this site

- your Bad -:angr:

ONLY Joking - it was an excelent method(y)
🍻

So Craig
DO we blame you for causing us more than 7 years of traffic light CR_P on this Forum:angr:
- I think So:moon2:
### Did you see any of your students posting on this site

- your Bad -:angr:

ONLY Joking - it was an excelent method(y)
🍻
Thanks, iant!! Now you've blown my cover! So much for the Witness Relocation Program!:confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the students posted here but in 14 years and over 300 students/year, I doubt I would have recognized their names.
I know using the simple examples in the basic programming class made more than a couple hundred of those students come back for the more advanced programming classes.

Thanks for the props!! 🍻

I used to to the same when teaching ladder logic to the apprentices back in the early 80's (81) - that was JIS - (Japan imperial standard)
it was a fairly simple translation to PLC from there.
my favorite (hard wire) was one push button up to 5 relays (only 3 needed)
and a light - the Flip/Flop as commonly reffered to.
But in hard wire.
good test of logic.

iam new to siemans S7 1200 plcs. is there a sequincer instruction like there is in allen bradley plcs that i could used for a stop light progam iam writing?

Last edited:
You could use the Siemens S7-1200 Shift instructions SHR or SHL (which handle Bytes, Words, or Double Words) to shift a sequence of stored memory word values to an Output Word. Read the Simens Simatic S7-1200 Programmable Controller System Manual, Chapter 6, pages 128 and 129.

Last edited: