Trying to figure out motor timing for starts

Downloaded all of those but cant get the emulator to work with Microsoft vista or 7. I can write the programs with RS500 but cant check them.
Jim, Because you are a student, you might want to get a copy of the LogixPro Simulator propgram. It will let you write, run, test, and edit a program that simulates a RSLogix program (about like running on an Allen-Bradley SLC 5/02) with 7 slots, Slots 1 and 3 are 16-bit digital inputs, slots 2 and 4 are 16-bit digital outputs, slot 5 is a BCD input with 4-digit thumbwheel, slot 6 is a BCD Outut with a digital display.

Download and try it free for 15 days. If you want to keep using, the fee is only $30, or $40 for a CD version. Students can get discounts if purchased through your school.

http://www.thelearningpit.com/

I downloaded both to my Win7 64 bit laptop last night. Logix installed fine. Linx and Emulate each barked at a failed registry edit when I installed them, but they would still start. I had no programs to try though.

When I tried to create the EMU-500 driver in RSLinx it failed. No error message, add new driver simply didn't work. Then I changed my security settings to turn off UAC (reboot required).

After the reboot, I was able to create a driver and make a dummy program and open it with the emulator.

I put my UAC settings back to normal and it still works. So, you might try again with UAC disabled, perhaps even during the install and let us know what happens.

RSLinx (and Emulate apparently) needs to be able to make registry edits and UAC normal settings inhibit this. I didn't find any method to specifically allow registry edits by those programs, but turning off UAC seems to do the trick.

Also, make sure you're an administrator level user when you install.

Last edited:
I am tasked to make a motor starter only operate 3 times in one hour. If the start button is hit the fourth time there can be no engagement of the motor starter. As soon as 1 of my timers drops off then the motor starter can operate once until another timer drops off or reset to two or three starts if all three motor starts are over 1 hour. I am having a difficult time figuring out how to reset when one timer ends.

Thanks Jim

This is related, though not the solution:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=389892&postcount=10

For your original question, why not count within a time window?

There are two parts to this. You start a 60 minute timer when motor is first started, then enable a counter. At this point the counter accumulated is "1" because the motor just started.

When counter done at three, lock out for an hour (or an appropriate time as determined with debugging).

But here comes the time window. If 60-minute timer times out with less than three starts, reset the timer window (means reset the counter to zero).

I use a similar method for stopping a machine when it is feeding and outfeed suction goes low three times. In my case if the feed is too much for the suction in the pipe I stop the feed. But if this happens too many times within a time window, stop and alarm. Tells them there is a problem. (Hope the dreaded "too much information" is not a problem.)

Note: this is not the perfect solution, but it's elegantly simple and could be improved upon with some debugging.

Good luck in your programming!

Just looked at your posted "START_LIMIT_001.pdf" and that is very similar to what I suggested. I think my code is simpler but if yours does the same thing, then what does it matter. I can post my code on Friday if needed, will not be at programming computer with internet access until then. But it's your assignment so what does it matter. :)

An other approach - estimating the motor temp.

When the motor starts, you add a value (f.x. 70) to the TempEstimate.
So long the motor is running, multiply the TempEstimate value by f.x. 0.999 every second until you reach the normal running temp (f.x. 60).
If the motor stops, continue the multipying until room temp (f.ex 20).

The rule for allowing a new start, is that the value of the TempEstimate + added temp by start (70) is lower than the max. temp. allowed (f.ex. 100).

(No, I'm not drunk (...yet)).
icon10.gif

Kalle