TwinCAT programming without actual hardware

karlek

Hello everyone,

Lately, I started working around with Beckhoff hardware (CX1010 CPU and a few I/O modules) and got pretty familiar with programming in TwinCAT PLC Control, linking and mapping variables, etc.

In some tutorial I have been recently reading it is stated that "TwinCAT has a built-in software PLC so programs can be tested without connecting to the actual hardware."

But, I was unable to find out what exactly do I have to do to run my programs without actual hardware. What target system to choose in TwinCAT System Manager and which devices under the "I/O - Configuration"?

I would appreciate it much if you can give me some starting tips on this issue.

Thank you!

You can make the full software on the demoversion.
the only drawback is that it only runs for 2 hours continuously.
as it is a simulation it will run slower, thus fast timers will not work accuratly.

See this video, it may help answer your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_nFE9wx8OM

Hm, thanks for the help Archie but I didn't manage to get it working. The problems can be seen on attached image, also in PLC Control (Online -> Choose Run-time System) there is no Run-time to choose so I can Login to the PLC.

And yeah, I don't quite understand the thing with the parallel printer port, new computers even don't have it on the motherboard :) Do I really need to physically have the port?

I would be grateful if you can elaborate it a little bit more.

TwinCAT.jpg

Is your local system in Run Mode? The icon in your System Tray (down by the clock) needs to be green. If not, click the icon and choose System->Start

In earlier versions of TwinCAT, it was required to have at least one IO point linked in System Manger, so the parallel port could be used to fill this need. If you computer has a real parallel port, then you could control the voltage on the pins the same way you control outputs on a PLC.

Is your local system in Run Mode? The icon in your System Tray (down by the clock) needs to be green. If not, click the icon and choose System->Start

In earlier versions of TwinCAT, it was required to have at least one IO point linked in System Manger, so the parallel port could be used to fill this need. If you computer has a real parallel port, then you could control the voltage on the pins the same way you control outputs on a PLC.

That exactly is the problem, I can't get it to the run mode. The message I get in TwinCAT System Manager can be seen on the image I attached ("Error Server execution failed building TwinCAT COM Server List!"). I am using TwinCAT v2.11.0 which is, by the way, unregistered if that could be the problem.

Are you on a 64 bit system?

As long as you are still within your 30 day trial period of the run time, you do not have to be registered.

Yes, I am using 64-bit Windows 7 operating system. The trial expired, but until now I was able to use it to connect to real hardware.
You must be using the Engineering version of TwinCAT that does not include a run-time. The last I known of, it was the only option for a 64 bit machine.

Yes, I am using 64-bit Windows 7 operating system. The trial expired, but until now I was able to use it to connect to real hardware.
The trial only expires the run time, not the programming software.
If your trial expired, try uninstalling and re-installing TwinCAT, it will reset the run time for another 30 days.