Type S Triple Element to One Element

Rob S.

We have a kiln that has Type S Thermocouples in. Some are Triple Element and Dual Element. They are going to a plc , temperature controller , and a high limit. I would like to go to 4-20 ma input to all 3. But need the time to install new cards , setup , and program. My question is , do they make a device that takes in temperature from a type S thermocouple (mV) as a input and distributes 3 signals as an output( mV )
to those devices. Has you can imagine the triple element is quite expensive.

Thanks in advance. I hope I explained well enough.

Have a great weekend.

The triple/dual element serves a purpose though, especially when one of the elements are tied to a separate high limit controller like your example.

If one element fails, the on controlling your system, it may overheat and cause damage to your equipment. The second element that is tied to the high limit controller would stop this.

Your single element setup may be cheaper, but is it correct? I'm not 100% on the regulations of furnaces and ovens, but multiple elements seems to be a pretty standard thing from what I've seen.

The FM approved High Limit requires its own independent sensor, for the reasons already given. You need a minimum of a dual sensor -- one for the high limit and one for controlling. Then, the control product can do a 4-20mA retransmission to other devices, if you wish.

NFPA 86 requires the separate sensor for the high limit, which means you need dual element, minimum.

I agree with paulcs, retransmit the controller's signal to the recorder as a 4-20mA.