Ultrasonic Level xmtr software

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is there software out there that can connect to just about any Ultrasonic level transmitter and display what that instrument "sees". I think Dolphin is an example of what I mean but is manf specific. I'm having trouble with some seimens level transmitters at random times and I want to see " inside" the transmitter. Perhaps there is an obstacle I am not aware of.

I imagine that would be the only common protocol, but I need some sort of graph to show me signal reflection along its entire range so I can see what it "sees"

What you are looking for sounds like what Siemens/Milltronics calls an "echo profile".

If you're aware of "Dolphin" software you must have an older Milltronics ultrasonic transmitter.

The software and driver to display an echo profile will be VERY vendor specific. Although Pactware is a universal software program, a brand/model specific DTM driver would be needed for any ultrasonic instrument.

Siemens also uses PDM software to display the echo profile on older instruments. The 'Ranger' series (Multi/Hydro/Air) used Modbus over a serial RS-232 connection to talk to PDM.

A single tag PDM license is less than $100 in the US. Installing it and getting it to work is a project.

To my knowledge the older Siemens/Milltronics 'ranger' units with Modbus do not talk to Pactware.

Some newer instruments have DTM files for Pactware software or can display the echo profile in the instrument's local display.

Last edited:
Yes, "Echo Profile" sounds exactly right. I've seen it from Rosemount too. The devices under scrtiny now are SiTrans LU. So . . .
Moments ago I DL'd Pactware and the Sitrans DTM. I installed teh DTM and then Pactware (Seems backwards) and it opens but it appears to want a hart modem right off the bat. My associate has that some where so I was hoping to see some sample data so I can see what pactware does. It looks like it only does parameters like the HART 475, not an Echo Profile. Am I missing something?

Sitrans LU what?

Does it have HART?

If so, then yes, you need a HART modem.

The software needs to talk some protocol to the instrument. HydroRanger talked Modbus, LUT400 talks HART.

If the device has a DTM, then Pactware will show an echo profile, although I'd have to poke around to find the screen for the echo profile.

SiTrans Probe LU6
DTM I got from Siemens site was SITRANS_PROBE_LU6_HA_DTM_FDT.

Yes it has Hart. I get that I need Hart modem, but I want only to open the DTM for the device. I dont need to talk to it just yet. I want to see what the software does, if anything with a static file, but its like the DTMs arent loaded as the device list is still empty.
Shouldn't I see a list of the 2 DTM's I installed in the device list of Pactware?

UPDATE: Had to reinstall the DTM's (thought that was backwards) then "Update device Catalog" then they showed up.

Last edited:
I don't have a Probe LU around so a working connection can not be made, but I suspect that the echo profile is shown under Device > Diagnosis.

k49i79.jpg

The Parameter settings that are viewable without a working connection to a Probe LU are just that, setup parameters.

Dan