Unitronics Vision and Smartstep servo drive

Hi Zoran,

It depends on how smart the servo actually is.

The Unitronics Vision series are great PLCs, but the scan time is not fast enough to serve as a true motion controller. So, the servo has to be able to take care of reaching the target position on it's own.

If you are doing point-to-point movement, triggered by input, then the Uni will do fine.

If the servo supports modbus, then you can change velocity and target position, and read current position over the serial link. I've done this with Automation Direct's SureServo line without alot of trouble.

If you want alot of sophisticated servo functions, or want the drive to serve as an amplifier only, better get a motion controller to go with the Uni. Trio makes some nice simple models.

TM

Similar Topics

Hi there! Can someone give me more detailed manual for this PLC, I got some manuals from the official website, but they are too short - 8-10 pages...
Replies
Views
Has anyone been able to get Inductive Automation's Ignition MODBUS OPC Server to communicate with a Unitronics Vision 530 OPLC? I can get...
Replies
Views
Hi all! We have a Lantech stretch wrap machine with a Unitronics Vision 290 HMI. This is my first experience with Unitronics. The touchscreen is...
Replies
Views
Can anyone give me some rough pricing on the Unitronics vision series (V230, V260, V280, V290)? Also software and cables... I realize that...
Replies
Views
I have two relay outputs, these are connected to a DC motor....The input to the PLC is a temperature reading. I already have a circuit made that...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom