Update CompactLogix software with SD card?

In general, if someone saved a *.ACD file to the SD card they did it for convenience, so that you could open it in a computer that has Studio 5000, then download it to the controller.

To my knowledge, there is always a CPU involved with the creation of a memory image file, or with the download of a *.ACD project file. The controller itself can only load image files, and cannot open/compile/load an ACD directly.

Bringing this question back up as I need to be able to send out CompactLogix application updates on an SD card and have not figured out the details:

- Does the card have to be loaded in the PLC using Logix 5000 software or can the .ACD file be put in a certain directory from any laptop/computer?
- Load the program and version of what?
- What should be the Run/Remote/Program switch position?

I'm looking through this doc and just haven't found the simple steps, yet: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm017_-en-p.pdf

How to flash CompactLogix firmware over Ethernet
Step 1) Open ControlFlash. ...
Step 2) Choose FactoryTalk Directory. ...
Step 3) Gather information required. ...
Step 4) Choose your processor. ...
Step 5) Select your processor in RSLinx's RSWho. ...
Step 6) Choose firmware version. ...
Step 7) Review warnings and summary information. ...
Step 8) Confirm Flash Update.

In general, if someone saved a *.ACD file to the SD card they did it for convenience, so that you could open it in a computer that has Studio 5000, then download it to the controller.

To my knowledge, there is always a CPU involved with the creation of a memory image file, or with the download of a *.ACD project file. The controller itself can only load image files, and cannot open/compile/load an ACD directly.

In short, I need a CPU in my laboratory equal to that of the customer to create a backup on sd card.
It would have been nice to create studio 5000 backup files!
One last question: if I use the PLC simulator is it possible?