Updating Panelview 900

beans

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to properly update the "icons" on my Panelview 900 (AB 2711-T9C9). I think maybe I'm having a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works.

Am I supposed to update the "icon"/button options on our PV900 through the RSlogix500 program we send to the SLC5-04 that we have? Or is it done directly by connecting my PV900 to the RSlogix500 program? Or is it an entirely different program??

I don't see any other programs on the laptop we have for this, so I'm leaning towards the first option, but looking at the ladder logic isn't really showing me anything substantial about what options I need to select or where they would be located.

Any help or guidance in the right direction would be nice.:confused:

missing a lot of info here....

what are you referring to by icon?

you'll need panelbuilder32 software to work with the PV900.

Hi Ian, I guess I'm referring to the different menu options that were previously uploaded onto the display? Not sure if that clears it up. For example, our PV900 has a button that opens and closes a gas valve.

I guess with that example, if I wanted to rename the gas valve it would need to be done with Panelbuilder32?

Hi Ian, I guess I'm referring to the different menu options that were previously uploaded onto the display? Not sure if that clears it up. For example, our PV900 has a button that opens and closes a gas valve.

I guess with that example, if I wanted to rename the gas valve it would need to be done with Panelbuilder32?

yes, Panelbuilder32 is the software that you use to create and modify panelview programs in panelview 600/900/1000, panelview plus, etc.

anything on the display will be done with that software, unless they are using a string display for the gas valve name and pointing at data in the plc.... not that likely with an older panelview though.

Shoot alright... I guess we're in a weird spot on our end then. Our laptop isn't compatible with PB32 and our files are too old to be compatible with it anyway according to one of the vendors we've worked with...

anything on the display will be done with that software, unless they are using a string display for the gas valve name and pointing at data in the plc.... not that likely with an older panelview though.
How would this normally look? I'll dig through our ladder logic some more.

Shoot alright... I guess we're in a weird spot on our end then. Our laptop isn't compatible with PB32 and our files are too old to be compatible with it anyway according to one of the vendors we've worked with...

How would this normally look? I'll dig through our ladder logic some more.

pb32 runs on everything from windows xp to windows 11, you should be able to run it no matter what. Why can't you run it on yours?

also, you won't really know how it's coming in until you look at it, the most likely is that it's just a named valve on the screen. you're better off posting your hmi program up for someone to look at real quick.

Last edited:
pb32 runs on everything from windows xp to windows 11, you should be able to run it no matter what. Why can't you run it on yours?

our distributor had previously told one of our engineers, and myself included, that we wouldn't be able to run it on Windows 10. He said it wouldn't be compatible on any 64-bit OS. From the Rockwell website it seems like 3.83.01 won't be compatible. Is that not the case?

our distributor had previously told one of our engineers, and myself included, that we wouldn't be able to run it on Windows 10. He said it wouldn't be compatible on any 64-bit OS. From the Rockwell website it seems like 3.83.01 won't be compatible. Is that not the case?

it works fine on win 10

win10.JPG

Last edited:
I have Version 3.83.01 (Build 7) open in front of me right now on a 64-bit Windows 10 computer. Rockwell may not officially support it, but it runs just fine for me.

EDIT: There's been issues with Rockwell breaking compatibility with RSLinx for uploading/downloading, but last I knew it worked again and if not there's a workaround you can find elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited:
When I was testing it on my virtual machines, I could install and run in a newer OS but communicating with the HMI was unstable. Sometimes it would work sometimes not. I don't remember at which OS it started going wonky. Probably Windows 7 64-bit. But I could be off on that. It's been a while since I had to connect to a PV Standard.

Huh... Good to know. Thanks everyone! I'll try and acquire that then.

Factorytalk View ME wouldn't work, correct?

When I was testing it on my virtual machines, I could install and run in a newer OS but communicating with the HMI was unstable. Sometimes it would work sometimes not. I don't remember at which OS it started going wonky. Probably Windows 7 64-bit. But I could be off on that. It's been a while since I had to connect to a PV Standard.

I connect to them no issues on win 10 through vmware. Seems like it's very dependent on what else is installed on the machine that messes with com ports.

I connect to them no issues on win 10 through vmware. Seems like it's very dependent on what else is installed on the machine that messes with com ports.

Very probably. As others have mentioned, it could be the version of RSLinx I was running or patches I wasn't. I didn't have a lot of time to dig into it at the time and it was low priority since I was already using a Windows XP VM successfully.