Upgraded to FactoryTalk View 8.2. Not all my projects are in Open ME Applications

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I upgraded to FactoryTalk View 8.2. I have all my projects in ....,,
C: / Users / Public / Public Documents / RSView Enterprise /ME / HMI projects
But , not all of them are in FactoryTalk View when I go to File / Open Application / New/Open Machine Edition Application / Existing .

How do I bring them back in ? I seems like "New/Open Machine Edition Application / Existing " would be looking in HMI Projects on the C drive .

Thanks again,

You have to use the Application Mangler...sorry, that should be Application Manager to restore each of the .mer or .apa files into Studio. I don't believe it's just a matter of putting all of the files in the right place.

That being said, any projects that were there before you upgraded to 8.2, should still be there in 8.2 - did some disappear, or are you just trying to add some extra ones in?

I tried Restore in Application Manager , and there are only a few that are present in that folder. How do I implement those projects into FactoryTalk View 8.2.

Thanks,

I'm sorry , I didn't explain it enough .I have a folder in C:/ Users/Public /Public Documents /RSView Enterprize / ME / HMI projects. I have a project folder " Line 4 Molder HMI ". This is a project I would like to restore , but
I cannot find it nowhere in Application Manager. In this folder is a number of folders , accounts,activity log ,cache , images , etc.

Thanks again,

I'm sorry , I didn't explain it enough .I have a folder in C:/ Users/Public /Public Documents /RSView Enterprize / ME / HMI projects. I have a project folder " Line 4 Molder HMI ". This is a project I would like to restore , but
I cannot find it nowhere in Application Manager. In this folder is a number of folders , accounts,activity log ,cache , images , etc.

Thanks again,

Did you back the project up in application manager before hand, then restore it? Or have you just upgraded the software?

Ash

Edit: Sorry if you already know, but a restore works on a *.apa file not from a folder.

I put all my projects on a thumbdrive before I did the upgrade to 8.2. After the upgrade I wanted to open some projects , and they were not in the Existing Machine Edition Application. I have the project , I just can't bring it in to FactoryTalk View to do anything with it .

The only way to save a project is by using the Application Manager to create ('backup') an '.apa' file for each one. You can save all the apa files as you would any other file (like to your thumb drive). After the upgrade you could 'restore' each of the apa files to the directory structure.

Merely saving the directory structure will not save all the information.

As a routine you should be making an apa for each and every project and at each change. These are the only valid backup of the project.

So you are saying that the file folder " Line 4 Molder" in HMI projects cannot be restored to FactoryTalk View ?

The file folders are a temporary location only for the current computer. As I mentioned the only way to save a project is to use the Application Manager to create a backup .apa file. I don't know of a way to recreate the project just from the copied file folders.

You might possibly be able to recover most of the projects if you saved the .mer files or can copy these from the HMIs.

Thanks Bernie , yes I was able to restore one application I was missing. One that
I am really concerned about , I was not able to restore because I get the following message........

" This runtime application file was saved in a protected format that does not allow conversion to a development application ".

I do not remember saving this any other way than normal. What could cause this
to prevent it from restoring ?

But I always check to see if " Always allow conversions" is selected. That must of what happened some time. Anyway to reverse that ?