Upgrading from 1305 on SCANport

woodfritz

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
We do have several cabinets with SLC5/03 CPU's and two SCANport modules, each.
5 ports are being used, communicating with 1305 VFDs.
We need to replace the old 1305 VFDs, one at a time.

My question: Which VFD's should we use, to make it as close to "plug and play", as possible?

Thanks in advance :)))

I don't have any hardware to try this out with. I'd just be guessing.

I'm impressed that the 1305's have lasted this long! Those capacitors MUST be nearing end-of-life!

If you are using 1203-GD1 and its firmware is later than 2.08 then you can use this with a PF70 see technote ID: QA2645 | Access Levels: Everyone
IN19826 may help.

We still have a lot of 1305's at the plant I work in and also one 1333 still working, quite a few 1336's using serial from a RIO to serial module and a PLC2.

Last edited:
Please confirm: do you plan to retain the SLC-5/03 CPU and the 1203-SM1 chassis mounted SCANPort modules ?

I agree with Alan: the PowerFlex 70, 70EC, and original PowerFlex 700 Standard Control are the most modern drives compatible with SCANPort, and also with the 16-bit data tables used by the SLC-500.

The PowerFlex 40's use DSI (basically Modbus RTU) and the PowerFlex 520 and 750 series use DPI (Drive Peripheral Interface, a successor to SCANPort).

If you were upgrading the CPU or could add a DeviceNet scanner, then the answer would likely be different.

Hi everyone - thanks for the answers.

@Ken : yes, my boss would like to keep the SLC-5/03 and the SCANPort modules.

I can see the point in replacing all the legacy parts, but that is not on my task list, unfortunately.