Upload program from S7-1500

CharlieMops

Hello,

I´m complete beginner so sorry if my question is stupid.

I want to upload the program from the PLC to my computer. I have S7-1500 in my CPU cabinet and it is connected through ET 200S to another cabinet where all the modules are.

I tried to upload the program like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaahkmsMz4.

But when it recognises the CPU it doesn´t add anythind else to the rack. When I go online i can see the program with a lot of errors and I can´t see any other hardware in TIA Portal except for the CPU.

Do I need to manualy add ET200 S and then upload from it? I am really worried to mess up the program so I´m scared to experiment.

Thank you

I have never used the 1500, all mine have been 400 the older stuff, however, on most PLC's you should be able to upload the configuration from the processor. I'm sure that is where the configuration is, however, as I have never used that module this is a bit of a guess, I assume when it was originally programmed that the configuration for the ET & I/O is done in the project and downloaded to the PLC, the PLC then transfers it to the ET200. so I assume the hardware configuration can be uploaded from the PLC.
I'm sure if I'm wrong someone here will put you right.

Do I need to manualy add ET200 S and then upload from it?
No you do not... unless they are ET200S CPUs, and not remote I/O.

Which version of TIA Portal do you have? Go to Help -> Installed Software... menu in TIA Portal.

It could be that your software version does not match the one in the CPU.

In the project tree, under the CPU, there should be something called "Online & Diagnostics". Double-click it and you should see something like the image below, which will tell you the version of TIA Portal used to download to the CPU:

TIA Portal Version Online.PNG

No you do not... unless they are ET200S CPUs, and not remote I/O.

Which version of TIA Portal do you have? Go to Help -> Installed Software... menu in TIA Portal.

It could be that your software version does not match the one in the CPU.

In the project tree, under the CPU, there should be something called "Online & Diagnostics". Double-click it and you should see something like the image below, which will tell you the version of TIA Portal used to download to the CPU:
Hey, you are right!
I have TIA V16 and the project is V15.1.

Is there something I can do about this?

If this is a running machine, and you don't want to make any changes whatsoever, download the V15.1 from Siemens and install it. Siemens says you can do side-by-side installations of different versions of TIA Portal, but from my experience, I wouldn't do that. I would either...

a) uninstall V16 and install V15.1
b) create a virtual machine using something like Virtualbox to install V15.1 to keep it separate.

Here is the link to download:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109761045/simatic-step-7-and-wincc-v15-1-trial-download?dti=0&lc=en-DE

Go to the section called "TRIAL Download STEP 7 Basic/Professional and WinCC Basic/Comfort/Advanced"

In "Devices and networks" I still don´t see anything except for the CPU.

Thank you, I will try with the older version on a different computer :)

In "Devices and networks" I still don´t see anything except for the CPU.
That might be because of the version difference, and you weren't able to upload.

Thank you, I will try with the older version on a different computer
You should look into virtual machines like Virtualbox or VMWare. It's a lot more convenient to have different versions software and even software from different vendors on one computer.

Last edited:
I agree, Not all installations go according to plan, I installed GX Developer & GX IEC (old one as it has been superseded), I then installed GX Works 2 no problems then GXWorks3, now GX works 2 & GX Developer will not run the simulator. It works on my Win 7 PC but not on Win 10, not surprising but it can happen.