UPS sizing warning

rsdoran said:
It is not false advertising, the device capabilities depend on the system requirements. It is up to the person needing/ordering the device to determine if he is getting what he needs.

Knowing about electrical terms etc does not always mean you know when to apply them correctly or use the proper formulas involved. Undoubtedly there is more to this system then you originally thought that required you to match it using wattage instead of VA.

You are blaming the UPS manufacturers for false advertisement, I have visited the 3 major sites and all show VA and Watts for their components. Just one look at a 1000VA/700W unit would make me attempt to understand why there is that great a difference.

While i agree with you Ron, i also frown on the way people sell things like UPS's,

"Bubba goes to wall mart to buy a UPS for his 'puter and he don't know dick about Power factors and VA and watts..(and the scary thing is the sales rep at wall mart doesn't know..)
However bubba doesn't buy to many transformers or cap banks..so he relies on the sales rep or his limited knowledge

No if I or you (who know about these things) asks the questions we get a much different story.. as they say..if you don't know you don't know..

Now does anyone know why they say a vac has 20 amps of power??....

Last edited:
I am Bubba, remember, I know what you mean though, it is confusing I guess.

The vacuum and air compressor thing I have thought about in the past but never figured out how they come up with their numbers because a 5HP motor at 120vac should pull 50 amps but these units pull 10-12. Thinking about it now they must have some method of amplifying the air flow to increase the suction or air output then use those numbers to express it in work terms that people can relate too. Everyone is use to HP because of cars, and bigger the better concept would apply to make it more appealing.

I really have no idea.

I have crunched the numbers in my head and the only thing i come up with RLA..If you stall the compresor motor you will get 50 amps (Only for a min or so!!)

I dont know but would like to..BTW I consider myself a bubba in most of the area's talked about here..

you know what?

I was sitting here thiking about this..my mind drfifted back to school..

In my first year we wre told that a watt was a Va..eg 10a x 120 v =1200watts or 1200va..they drilled this into us.. Then in the second year they tell us that what we learned was wrong..a VA isnt the same as a W...they then get into trig and Power factors..no wonder its so hard for the average "Bubba" to undersatnd

D