Urgent!!! Ultimate Traffic Light Program Needed!!!

antjon1 said:
OK, here ya go! Just hook up, oh, lets say a 3 phase 480 50HP motor directly to the PLC. Preferably a SLC500 or maybe even a PLC 5. Wire the 3 phases straight into the output card. Make SURE it says on the card "DC SOURCE". Also, here is the ladder instruction you should put in:

XIO I:1/0 NXB XIC I:1/0 BND OTE O:2/0 

Make sure you attach a pushbutton to the 1st Input card. The 50HP motor will make thie lights work through the property of Inductive Reactance. The lights "react" to the induction of the EMF that occurs within the windings of the motor. In fact, if you are using lights that are a long distance away from the motor, you might want to remove ALL fuses from your setup and replace them with jsut a wire to jump over hte fuse socket. That way, you get more current avaliable, and therefore, more reactance.

Hope this helps!

lol

AJ
LOL!!! I really like this guy:eek:

I'm gonna show my ignorance here. This looks like AB, but I don't know how to read it. Please translate. If I remember my AB, I:1/0 is the first input in slot zero. O:2/0 is the first output in slot 2.
What is NXB, XIC...?

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and answer ya even though i have no clue if you are serious or joking. OK, yes, it is Allen Bradley, instead of actually showing the ladder rung this owuld be on, I just typed out the actual instrucitons (I kinda like typing the instrucitons in to RSLogix for each rung instead of drag and drop).

XIC is basically normally open, XIO is normally closed. the NXB and BND are instrucitons to create a cranch in the ladder sothe 2 inputs are paralell. Basically, it would look like this:

I:1/0 O:2/0
-------| |-------------------------------------( )----------
| |
| I:1/0 |
----|/|----

There ya go!

- Your very gullible college kid

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words

bit22.png

You have to either go to advanced response and click the -||- icon or type the magic words enclosed in square brackets - ladder at the beginning and /ladder at the end.

I:1/0 O:2/0
-------| |-------------------------------------( )----------
| |
| |
| I:1/0 |
----|/|-----

Last edited:
Thanks, antjon1 (Edit: 2 more posts while typing, so thanks ALL!). I wasn't kidding. I've programmed quite a few PLC's, but AB is different. The last AB I did (SLC 5/03) was an edit, so I just had to self teach on the software package.
I learned Boolean. It would read like this:
LOD 1/0 (Load 1/0)
LODN 1/0 (Load Not 1/0)
OR LOD (OR the 2 Loads together)
OUT 2/0 (If the logic solves true, turn on the output)

Last edited:
antjon1 said:
OK, here ya go! Just hook up, oh, lets say a 3 phase 480 50HP motor directly to the PLC. Preferably a SLC500 or maybe even a PLC 5. Wire the 3 phases straight into the output card. Make SURE it says on the card "DC SOURCE". Also, here is the ladder instruction you should put in:

Make sure you attach a pushbutton to the 1st Input card. The 50HP motor will make thie lights work through the property of Inductive Reactance. The lights "react" to the induction of the EMF that occurs within the windings of the motor. In fact, if you are using lights that are a long distance away from the motor, you might want to remove ALL fuses from your setup and replace them with jsut a wire to jump over hte fuse socket. That way, you get more current avaliable, and therefore, more reactance.

Hope this helps!

lol

AJ

i really dont see anything wrong with this at all, i just delivered a 55Kw 400V 3phase panel to a customer today with a very similar approach, only thing different was i just run the motor through 1 phase to the mains permanent and the other two through an AB Triac output card, i programmed it so as it would act like a soft start ( crude i know )...........

Now whilst the LEDS on the card were really really bright it worked well for the time i was on site :)

Indeed it was all in good fun. Antjon1 with your attitude you can go far. You did show quite a bit of thought in your first post and a good sense of humor in the followup. Most of the really good techs that I have worked with have both...

geniusintraining said:
Nice work, Want a job ? you can take over HR dept and fire TWControls ???? if he still works for S&M, Hey you can fire Rube also...:p

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20167

You can't fire me. You never hired me. All I do is studies as a consultant to justify S&Ms projects (for a cut of course)

And I need to have a talk with accounting of S&M. My checks bounced too. Who was appointed to the accounting department?

I'm thinking about making this a Friday tradition just to lighten the day after a hard week. What do you guys think? I can come up with the story lines.