USB to RS232 Convertor

Ok so my question remains...

Has anybody tried a PCMCIA serial port card? If I can find some positive feedback about them, then I might take the plunge..and get a decient laptop with DVD & CDRW etc... so my kids can watch Harry Potter or something on long road trips..

Some of the previous threads mention that when a USB to serial converter doesnt work, then a PCMCIA to serial will.
For example the AB PIC (which is very PICky) should work off a PCMCIA/serial converter.

I'm running 2 Dell C840's and love'em. I just bought one from Dell as a Refurb for $1600. It has RS232, parallel, USB, CD burner, ENet, 1394, etc. I order an additional 256 meg ram to go with the 256 built in. It also 1.8 gig P4 processor & XP Pro. The other is Win2000.
I burnt out a serial port a few months ago, on an operator panel, which had 24v on the serial pin. The machine was a year old. Dell sent a new mother board and a geek to my house and replaced it the next day, on my kitchen table, in an hour. Get the extended warrenty!

Mike,
I have tried Startech, it gave me a blue screen on my new HP ( running XP Pro ) Support was no help at all. I tried to installed it on a old Toshiba but it would not take the driver. I didn't play around much longer, so sent it back.
There have been others on this site that have mentioned Quatech
see here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207&highlight=quatech

Mike

I have PCIMCA card with RS232 on my laptop in additional to the build in port.
It is not work with AB PIC but it work perfect with all the other stuff.
I use to be connected to PLC HMI and Serveo driver in certain systems.
I saw the GOLD X on AD web site.and bought it.
It work fine with DirectSoft and with my HMI.
Some time it refuse to work.So I use my Ethernet to serial.
I would recomend on PCIMCA not USB.even it cost $150 more.
I use
http://www.silicom.co.il
which work very good.

Well excuse me Arikby, the original question was....

I will order a Dell laptop (Insprion 8600) for programming a special power protection and control relay from SEL (a special PLC for electrical power industries), and may be used for programming PLC as well. SEL relays and PLCs need RS232, but the laptop will not have a RS232 port. My question: if the USB/RS232 convertor in the market will support the RS232 requirement on any controller, or it has a limitation somehow? Thank you in advance.

I stated that there was allot of archival info about USB to SERIAL converters.

And your question to me was....

What you talking about?

I'm alright! Are you?
Obviously your confused about the ORIGINAL question!
Or perhaps you did not understand my response.
At any rate you can just ignore my response because you cannot or will not accept it, and I was not posting it for your critique anyway!

Last edited:
Bitmore said:
Your problem is you are TO LAZY to do the investigation yourself.

Originally posted by Bitmore
I'm alright! Are you?
Obviously your confused about the ORIGINAL question!
Or perhaps you did not understand my response.
At any rate you can just ignore my response because you cannot or will not accept it, and I was not posting it for your critique anyway!

Hey Bitmore, Seems your in desperate need of a visit to ROB, I'll buy the first round. Call you tomarrow some time...

Yep!

That is what happens when your on site and deal with the same ignorance, repeatedly, on a daily basis. It was painfully obvious that the originator of the post did not check the previous solutions afforded on this blog.
I have a LOW threshold for replies like that, especially when they have nothing to contribute in trying to solve the original question. Worse yet, I fall into their (shallow end of the gene pool) dominion, when I show my frustration, to their moronic post!

Beer solves ALL my woes!

Bitmore
beerchug

PS. I may be late, but there eventually!

Bitmore , beer won't help in Your case .

What's wrong with You ,in most of Your posts You are trying to
bite somebody .
Try to be a little nice huh.
BTW I remember ,You were something like teacher somewhere.
POOR STUDENTS!

Last edited: