Using InTouch to map Indirect tags through Indirect real to IO real

There is no such data type as "Indirect Real". The Indirect tag for use with either an Integer or a Real data type would be an "Indirect Analog" data type.

Use a script to assign your Indirect Analog tag to mimic either a Memory Real or an IO Real tag.

Let's assume that your Indirect Analog tag is named "IA_Tag1".

Then, let's assume that you have an IO Real tag named "Bin_Level".

The following script would cause IA_Tag1 to reflect the value of Bin_Level:

IA_Tag1.name = Bin_Level.name;

IA_Tag1 will now reflect the value of Bin_Level until such time as you execute another script that assigns a different tag to IA_Tag1.

And yes...it is advised to use "IA_", "ID_", or "IM_" as beginning part of indirect tagname.
Then you automatically know it is an indirect tag and if it is an Analog, Discrete or Message tag.

However, I rarely do this any more. It is easier to "point" the Indirect script if I just use "I_". I already know by looking at the tagname if it is analog, discrete, or message.
As an example....I have an app where I am looking at 20 vacuum furnaces. The tags for each furnace start with "V1_", V2_", ...etc for each furnace.
So...V1 furnace Control Tc is shown as "V1_ControlTc".

Here is part of the "Data Change" script where I point all the indirects when the operator picks a furnace to monitor.
"FceNumber" analog tag is tracking what Furnace is being monitored.

I_ControlTC.Name = "V"+ Text( FceNumber, "#" ) +"-ControlTC";

Last edited: