Using MSG Instruction

eyespyral

Can anyone tell me how to use the MSG instruction to send a message from a Micrologix 1000 to a PC (connected serially using DF1)? I'm not sure how to set the parameters, or even how this is really suppose to work. Thanx.

You sure Can

I have some code that works great using a PC and Micro 1000.
Contact me privately if you want the details.

I can zip the file and give it to you if you wish.

Where are you located?

kcarlen,

if you're willing to give it away, why don't you post it here instead of dealing with matters on a private base? This forum is all about sharing knowledge, maybe the downloads section is the place to handle this request.

I for one would have given the info there if I knew the MicroLogix myself. I've done some ASCII communications between CompactLogix and PC and between SLC5/03 and PC, but I've never used a MicroLogix.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
No prob guys. I didn't plan to make people angry.
I just don't know the best way to post the RSS file. I would just like to post a file concerning the messaging. What is the best way to do so?

Hi,

If your file size is big(>307kb) you have to zip it first.

In the attach file at tab at the post reply click on the browse button and point to the file, then click submit reply.

This is the steps to make an attachment

What do you mean by sending a message to a pc from the micrologix? To my understanding and from my practices I have only used the MSG instruction ultimately from controller to controller. I however have programmed HMI's with Visual Basic( a cheap alternative to propietary hardware) and had the pc connected serially through one of the PLCs and then had the PLC's networked with what ever hiway was available and shared the information as required by the customer. As for MSGing directly to a PC, with AB product try discovering the RSLINX server capabilities.