Using OMRON PLC's

Definately like the flexibility of the Omron product line their support is also very thorough. Cost is also a plus as opposed to AB

I typically prefer AB software but thats only due to being more familiar with RSlogix over Cx programmer. one other advantage is that Omron is far friendlier when it comes to revealing the pinouts on its cables and has fewer cables overall

I pretty much have the same feeling.

Omron are nice and all but I prefer the way RSLogix handles the programming of most things. I love the easily accessible bits for accumulators etc for counters, timers, timed bits and so on that I use regularly with my programming. I also find AB math capabilities much easier to program and it nice not having to set all my numbers in BCD or binary. OMRON was quite a change when I learned how to use them. Probably because I have a lot more experience with AB RSLogix than I do CX Programmer but there are just some things I really miss that takes so many more steps to accomplish on the OMRON controllers and that of course increases processing time and the run cycle time. For instance I have no qualms about programming say a fuzzy logic controller on an SLC500, but the same program converted to work on OMRON takes up much more space and is much more complex to mess around with. Same with programming PID sensors from scratch. Of course you can always just buy the add on modules.

OMRON's biggest advantages I found have been price and range of selection and the lack of the stubborn software licensing protection that makes AB a pain in the rear to use and set up/network etc. In particular they blow the AB Micrologix controllers out of the water. It is very easy to convert OMRON programming to different types of OMRON controllers, I prefer the function block creation on them much better than the AB PLCs.

Maybe when I get more experience with OMRONs I may like them better.

One of the biggest advantages of Omron is capabilities of positioning pulsetrain outputs. Unlike AB, they allow changing speed and/or target on the fly.

But they still insist that on 9-pin D-Sub RS-232 connector ground is on pin 9!
This does not matter much, because the Omron serial port gender does not allow using the standard null-modem cable.

the Omron Online programming was available in SYSWIN - their second generation Software.
Tha AB 1100's to 1400's are capable of online programming - BUT -
about 12 button Steps (too many)

Very impressed with the Simulator package for omron.

Siemens PLC's, I believe, are in a class of their own - although the CJ2 Omron is capable of Profibus

I believe the PLC trademark - but try to tell the world not to use it.

I also Program a gammit of other PLC's including Mitsubishi - it ok