VB.net interface to RSlogix 5000

Brian_WI

Hi,

I am trying to interface VB 2008 or VB 2005 to RSlogix 5000. I'am in tech school right now and would just like to be able to place a value in a DINT tag or maybe control an output from visual basic. I see there are rockwell reference files built into vb 2008 but do not know which one to pick or how to use it. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to interface VB 2008 or VB 2005 to RSlogix 5000. I'am in tech school right now and would just like to be able to place a value in a DINT tag or maybe control an output from visual basic. I see there are rockwell reference files built into vb 2008 but do not know which one to pick or how to use it. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi Brian,

If you want to interface with the controller memory (read and write data) then there are several ways to do this. You can use an OPC server like RSLinx or an ActiveX that handles communications with RSLogix.

If you're interested in using the RSLogix5K object model then things are a bit more difficult. Unlike the earlier versions of RSLogix (for PLC-5 and SLC-500) the RSLogix5K object model is, well, a little more mysterious. I have been unable to find
adequate documentation. In the older versions you would, like any other windows ap, open an application and use the methods and properties to read, write, edit, upload, download, etc. With RSLogix5K the lack of documentation makes this more difficult. I've been unable to crack it. Perhaps there's someone out there who has done this?

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)