VersaPro installation problem

raywins

Attempting to load GE Fanuc VersaPro 2.03 on my Fujitsu C2230 laptop (1 yr old) and my HP zt1135 laptop (2 yrs old). Both run XP Pro and have not had VPro installed on them before.

Clicking on "setup" on the CD runs through what seems to be a normal installation, but install hangs at "Registering Communication Drivers" (or some similar message). I then have to abort the install to get the system back.

I figured maybe it was the version, so I tried to install a version 1.11 CD. Exact same problem.

I've installed VersaPro on at least 50 PCs (towers and laptops) and never seen this problem.

Any suggestions?

AHH!! I just realized I never loaded these versions to XP Pro... has Bill Gates struck again?

Last edited:
According to the IPI document, VP version 2.02 added Win XP Pro support, so that shouldn't be the issue. If it can't register drivers, that sounds like it can't modify the registry. Do you have administrator privileges ? Do they still call it administrator privileges in XP?

Yes, I've got full Admin privledges on both laptops. I Googled for "versapro 2.03 ipi" and came up with nothing useful. GEF used to post the IPIs and compatibility matrix on thier site, when did they quit that?

BTW, when I finally get this loaded, is there anything super important on SP5? I downloaded it while trying to find info. I'll be using it with a 90-30 circa 1998.

I may just be forced to get my tower PC running again... VPro worked on it (Win2K).

Are you running SP2 on the laptops? I know there have been quite a few issues related to it with almost everything else..... I don't see why microsoft would have left versapro alone.....

Here's a link to the IPI documents

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/gefanuc/support/ControllersIO/versapro-u.htm

Maybe there is something in one of them that relates to your problem.
Anything in the service packs is most likely bug fixes and patches. The development effort is going into Machine Edition. The only reason to go with VersaPro instead of ME is if you don't have a new enough computer with enough speed or memory to be able to satisfy ME's voracious appetite for resources.

Tom-
I won't touch a Micro$oft service pack until it's been out for at least six months. Bill Gates' idea of beta testing is releasing the product/SP to the unsuspecting users.

Ah, the answer is no, not running SP2. SP1 is installed.

My GE Fanuc Service and Automation reps told me years ago to watch what computer I bought. GE used Dell and Micron. There were warnings about HP and Compaq.

Kim Komando, Thee Digital Godess has a Micron laptop, but doesn't use/recommend it. Processor is power hungry and gets very hot.

My buddy PDavis uses a 1996 Sager laptop with outstanding results (and the original battery). But then, the Sager was over $4,000 back then.

Not being all that up on processor stuph, bios setttings? Not familiar with Fujitsu, don't know anyone with one of them or a HP laptop.

Maybe they just aren't compatable. I can't say one way or the other.

Any other thoughts on the "Just Simply Not Comptable" idea???

regards.....casey

kc,
Both these laptops have taken everything I've thrown at them, including A-B RSLinx and RSLogix. I bought the Fujitsu because the HP does not have a serial port, and USB to Serial converters don't work well with DOS based programs (GE Fanuc Logimaster 90). A little OT, but I've been using the Fujitsu as my desktop for the past year. It has been left on 23/7 for weeks at a time. Rock solid machine.

If they are just not compatible with VPro, I'd be very surprised... but then again read my signature.

I've experienced the same problem. My laptop is a Dell. I was able to complete the install by running it while in safe mode. However that probably didn't really help since I now get an ERROR saying the com port cannot be opened when I try to connect to the 90-30 controller. I assume that the comm drivers just got ignored. Don't know. Just not working yet.

I had the same problem installing VersaPro 2.02 on XP Pro. Installation hung at "Registering Communication Drivers". Seems like it must be a Pro/Home discrepancy since I installed it on my laptop (running XP Home) without any problems. Admin privs and SP1 on both.
-John