VFD enclosure

nexus

I going to be running two drives around water(Fluid test lab). The drives are for a 15 Hp pump and a 3 Hp pump. I will have water flowing over top of the location were the drives will be located. What type of enclosure do I need to keep the water and heat from the drives out. I need sufficient air movement to keep the drive from overheating. what do you recommend?

If exposure is anticipated to be infrequent a NEMA 12 (dust tight and drip proof) is probably sufficient. You can also get NEMA 4 or even NEMA 4X. However, a true NEMA 4 is expensive because they have to play some games with heat sinks and cooling.

Discuss this with your drive supplier. Most can provide NEMA 12 with shrouded fans and vents that will keep the water out unless it is a direct spray. If that is a possibility you need the NEMA 4.

Well, NEMA 12 for sure but if you are gonna have any directed spray, then rain tight. As for cooling, you can provide that cooling in a number of ways and still keep the water out. I have not done any applications like this for some years, but I am sure someone here has.
On the other hand, it would be better to not mount the drives in the wet area if you have that flexibility.

For sure you can get the 3 hp in a stand alone Nema 4X from most drive mfgrs these days. The 15 hp will be available N4X by itself also. Getting both drives in the same box might prove more co$tly than getting them in seperate N4X.

You may have a local integrator/panel shop that can build you a panel to suit.

Your best bet would be to mount the drives away from the liquids.

Leadfoot said:
Your best bet would be to mount the drives away from the liquids.
Remember, if the drive is in the way of liquids, that's where the poor electrician has to install it, troubleshoot it, configure it, repair it, etc.

Someone (it may even be you) is going to loath the person who approved of mounting the drives in a "bad" place.

In my opinion, a standard steel NEMA 12 enclosure instead of a NEMA 4X buys quite a few extra feet of conduit to get to a "better" area...

Not enough information overall. Will there be more in the enclosures then the VFDs, this is relevant to the size of the enclosure which would also relate to thermal management.

You said water overhead...HOW, trough, pipes??? In other words will the enclosure get wet or be in a very damp environemnt?

What level would the enclosure be mounted...example: the water is in a trough at approximate height of 42 inches and plans are to put the panel under the trough.

I am with Jimmie on the issue of putting the panel in another location further from the water and if possible place it at eye level. A scenario like I used above could mean someone may have to be inside a wet panel with a wet floor, possibly kneeling or worse....very bad situation.

Hoffman Enclosures online has a guide to specifying enclosures that includes thermal management: http://www.hoffmanonline.com/PDFCatalog/SpecifiersGuide/index.htm