VFD Question

thanks for the data, harryg. A couple more questions and suggestions.

1. Do you have a potentiometer across J4 Pins 1,2, & 3? The factory software is looking for the process setpoint there. It may be you have repointed the setpoint to the keypad. Please advise.

2. I don't see any point in tying Pin 1 to the Digital Input Common and it might actually make trouble. I would pull that jumper so you have 4, 8, 13, and 17 jumpered together only. Your Run contact should then be connected 9 to 17.

3. Apparently you have removed the signal conditioner from the 4-20ma loop and landed the loop directly on 4 and 5. That's probably the better choice. That these terminals are labeled backward seems farfetched. I would at least try putting your loop down as labeled and see if your display picks up the process signal. (You can't believe everything you hear, not even from tech service sometimes!)

4. When you have the keypad displaying the condition of Analog Input 2, are you sure it is showing the input or is it possibly showing the output of the PID block?

Finally, I'm just now getting into the Programming Section in Chapter Four. Please respond to the above and I'll try to get ready for the next step.

You can imagine that I'm a bit prejudiced about the ABB products but I've had to deal with at least a dozen different manufacturers over the last 15 years and my judgement is that they all have strong and weak points. I try not to trash the other guys too much because usually the weakest link is the person programming the unit (that would be me!). Familiarity usually fixes most problems, it seems.

Hang in there. We'll get to the bottom of this.

harryg, after reviewing Chapter 4 and your earlier posts, it looks like you are using a fixed setpoint value placed in Parameter "Setpoint CMD" in the Process Control Section. And you've got the Parameter "Setpoint Source" looking there for its value. That is fine.

Under these conditions, there should be no wiring to J4 Pins 1,2, or 3. Be sure to remove the jumper to Pin 1 as I mentioned earlier.

You said that JP-2 was set to pins 1 and 2 so that is right.

Process Feedback should be set for 4-20ma.

It seems that JP-2 sets both Analog Inputs to V or ma settings. There doesn't seem to be any way to set one to volts and the other to ma. Odd! But it doesn't matter here if you aren't using a setpoint pot.

I have a feeling that there is a common reference between the two analog inputs and your jumper to JP4 Pin 1 might be shorting the Analog input 2 since you already have a jumper to Pin 17 on one of the analog input terminals. Be sure to get that off pin 1 and also try reversing both wires on analog input 2, as mentioned earlier.

Let us know what happens.

DickDV,

The present configuration is per factory support, originally I had it wired exactly to your suggestions and, same problem, which led me to the present, scratching my head.:confused:

harryg, I've studied the manual carefully and I just don't see any way of displaying Analog Input current or voltage on the keypad. If you are looking at the standard display, the top line in the middle, that's output voltage to the motor.

Please advise what you are looking at. I'm probably overlooking something.

When I receive this info, I will respond back with a wire landing list for the control terminals and a parameter list.

Pg 3-34 also makes reference to a detailed manual "MN707". Is this available on-line somewhere?

Well... it's not there! Anyway when you program the Operating Mode parameter for process control, there is a screen in the Diagnostic Info Block which displays your setpoint and feedback % in a scale of 0-100%.

I'm not experienced with Baldor inverters, but is this doable: Have you tried the configuring and feeding the drive a 0-10V signal? Ohters here may disagree with wasting time on it, but what could it hurt? If it does work, Red Lion makes a fantastic signal isolator that is configurable and calibrateable to change your 4-20mA loop to other signals (Such as 0-10V). Just a thought, and good luck.

ripro said:
I'm not experienced with Baldor inverters, but is this doable: Have you tried the configuring and feeding the drive a 0-10V signal?
This is exactly what Harry's currently doing. See his original post

His point was... Why add an extra component to the system when this drive is supposed to be capable of using a 4-20ma speed reference signal.

By the way, Harry, you were about a week late with this question... :D
We recently shipped a machine with that exact drive on it. If it was still here I would have experimented with the 4-20ma input for you.

Oh well, maybe next time...

beerchug

-Eric

Did you guys see table 3-16 directly under the figure 3-34?
Doesn't it say that to get a feedback, the Expansion Board is needed?
Or is it always included with the drive?

OK, harryg, here's how I would proceed. I trust that you have reviewed the MN707 manual. It is quite good, I would say.

First, I would use the keypad to get the motor operating in open loop configuration. Assuming that you have done this, here is the wire landing list for J4. I'm assuming also that you don't have any expansion cards installed.

Temporarily, use a 5K pot for setpoint.

Pin 1 low speed end of pot
2 pot wiper (Note: no jumpers to anywhere on these pot terms)
3 high speed end of pot
4 output side of 4-20ma transmitter
5 jumper to J4 Pin 17
6 NC
7 NC
8 jumper to J4 Pin 17
9 Run/Stop contact
10 NC
11 NC
12 NC
13 jumper to J4 Pin 17
14 NC
15 NC
16 jumper to J4 Pin 17
17 jumpers to Pins 5,8,13, and 16
39 jumper to Pin 40 and connect to + side of 4-20ma transmitter
40 jumper to Pin 39

JP-2 must be in 1-2 position

Following is a parameter list. Parameter numbers are as shown in Appendix B. Parameters not listed are not part of the setup.

Par 1401 Process Control
1402 None (based on MN707 pg. 1-15)
1403 OFF
2002 0 or near 0
2003 60Hz more or less
2201 and 2202 if you set these OFF you won't need the jumpers
from J4 Pin 8 to 17 and Pin 16 to 17
2701 4-20ma
2702 probably ON, may have to be changed to OFF later
2703 Potentiometer
2704 Not used
2705 100%
2706 Not used
2707 100 (will change when doing loop tuning)
2708 0 (will change when doing loop tuning)
2709 0

Again, be sure motor runs properly in local (keypad) control. Then be sure to switch to remote control, set pot in the middle of its range, and swing the process signal from 4ma to 20ma. If the motor runs at 20ma and stops at 4ma, switch Parameter 2702 from ON to OFF. Motor should now run at 4ma and stop at 20ma.

I suspect that's enough for now. Let us know how this works for you.

Thanks Eric,

Seems to be my luck lately.banghead

DickDV,

Your time and effort is much appreciated, I have a full day tommorrow (start-up out of town). I will give it a try Wed. @ the shop and will let you know that evening. Again thanks very much.

DickDV,

Sorry to have left you hanging, it has been a super busy week.
I got a drive set up today to test, per your instructions, hopefully I can find time tomorrow, if not i will go in sat. Thanks for hanging in there!

harry

Install a resistor across the 0-10VDC input terminals. Use the V=IR rule to decide on your resistor size based on the desired voltage level at 20mA.